THF Halo 2 Classic 1v1 Tournament - September 5th

http://www.twitch.tv/triple_x_snake91

http://www.twitch.tv/lil_hustla

http://www.twitch.tv/kayemx

http://www.twitch.tv/a1_aka_revenge

Hi everyone, we're pleased to annnounce our next community tournament: http://www.thehaloforum.com/tournaments/thf-halo-2-classic-1v1-tournament

Tournament Details:

Tournament Type

• 1v1 Tournament
  • Tournament Date: 
  • September 5, 2015 - 1:00pm
  • Registration Opens: July 31, 2015 - 12:00pm
  • Registration Closes: September 3, 2015 - 12:00pm​

Tournament Prizes:

• 1st Place: $75 USD
  • 2nd Place: $50 USD
  • 3rd Place: $30 USD

​​Rules and Settings:

See "Rules and Settings" tab on tournament page:​​ http://www.thehaloforum.com/tournaments/thf-halo-2-classic-1v1-tournament

​***Free to Enter***

Bracket: http://challonge.com/hlxmk0nc

Schedule: The tournament begins at 1:00 PM EST. There will be a 45 minute gap between each round. If everything runs smoothly, the tournament should end around 9:00 PM EST. 

How to Register:

In order to register, you must have an account here at TheHaloForum. Go to the tournament page (http://www.thehaloforum.com/tournaments/thf-halo-2-classic-1v1-tournament), select the "Register" tab, and fill out the required information. You must include your gamertag, and optionally, may specify your region. The region will help us better group participants, so we encourage you to include that in your registration.

Once you've registered, you will be added to the "Player List" tab on the tournament page. You can edit or delete your registration at any time by selecting either the "Edit" or "Delete" buttons under the "Your Registration Details" block in the right sidebar. 

This tournament is run by @BxSouljah, please contact him directly if you have any questions or concerns, or post them in this thread as well.

Please share this with anyone you think may be interested in joining.

god i cant wait
are you ever going to do something team based? or not h2 or ce

I'm sure of it, SHER. I mean, I do imagine the first three games will be focused on any ways (which is what I'm sure the majority care about). This is only the third event? Second official, perhaps? It's much easier to organize and run a 1v1 than a team based event. Besides, they've been doing a great job, namely Bx, and this will probably be enough experience regarding both setting it up and managing disputes, etc., so it'll inherently make the team based tournies run smoother I would imagine.

Patience, bud.

So to answer both of your posts, yes, 2v2 and 4v4 tournaments are 100% going to happen in the near future. The reason why you're seeing 1v1 and FFA events right now is basically what B said. My plan was to organize 1v1 and FFA, Halo CE & H2 tournaments first just to get a feel for running these things. It also helps get the word out to the rest of the Halo community. So hopefully by the time we do host team based tournaments, we will have no problen filling a bracket. It also helps seed teams down the line as well. In terms of H3 and Halo 2 Anniversary tournaments, I see no reason why I cannot do that later down the line, but I dont want to run events for those games right now because first, they are newer competitive Halo titles. And second, you can find online tournaments for H3 and H2A through Beyond, Iron Gaming, ESL, JWalk, etc. Hope that helps answers some questions.
Im in, already told you I was downyes

are you ever going to do something team based? or not h2 or ce

256-player FFA Cold Storage. laugh

yay
I have never considered competing but I might just have to for this one.
I think it should be no radar, and that Sanctuary should be used instead of Lockout (it is not a good map) or at least in the map rotation with different maps every round.  If you want to have radar on just have every map be Warlock MLG style.
I definitely agree that radar should be off.

I think it should be no radar, and that Sanctuary should be used instead of Lockout (it is not a good map) or at least in the map rotation with different maps every round.  If you want to have radar on just have every map be Warlock MLG style.

Sanc 1v1 has to be one of the worst serious suggestions I've ever heard.

For the record, this is not a defense of Lockout. Sanc would just be so so so so so bad.

Motion Sensor stays on because that was part of MLG's settings for FFA and 1v1 from '05-'07.  2v2 and 4v4 do not have a Rader on because you have a teammate to communicate with.  And Lockout will most certainly be used for the tournament, it is by far the most popular 1v1 map to date.  Sanctuary will never be used for 1v1, rules stay as they are; however I do appreciate the feedback and concern. 

MLG never did 1v1s on any map other than Warlock though and they had a very specific set of rules for it.  As for Sanc 1v1, it is balanced at the beginning unlike Lockout which can screw you over 50% of the time with beginning spawns.  Radar just makes that way worse.  On Sanc radar doesn't even matter that much.  Lockout is popular because people are idiots and for some reason want to play that map every single time (in matchmaking Lockout will be voted 99% of the time no matter the gametype) but that doesn't make it a good map.  With one bad beginning spawn you can be screwed the whole game.

With radar on, once somebody gets the lead the game will come to a standstill, there is no reason not to sit in a corner with a shotgun and just wait for your opponent to walk by.

radars should def be off for a competitive 1v1 for the exact reason cizzats mentioned. Crouching and baiting the whole game doesn't really make for an enjoyable experience. On the topic of more enjoyable experiences I think having a 2nd map with a sniper on it will make it more fun. Back to back maps with just a BR is kind of boring. Just my 2 cents. 

I dont play much h2c but do enabling teams in a 1v1 affect spawns at all?

MLG never did 1v1s on any map other than Warlock though and they had a very specific set of rules for it.  As for Sanc 1v1, it is balanced at the beginning unlike Lockout which can screw you over 50% of the time with beginning spawns.  Radar just makes that way worse.  On Sanc radar doesn't even matter that much.  Lockout is popular because people are idiots and for some reason want to play that map every single time (in matchmaking Lockout will be voted 99% of the time no matter the gametype) but that doesn't make it a good map.  With one bad beginning spawn you can be screwed the whole game.

With radar on, once somebody gets the lead the game will come to a standstill, there is no reason not to sit in a corner with a shotgun and just wait for your opponent to walk by.

Would spawns actually behave on Sanc though? I don't see it being a balanced start to the game.
then teams should def be on to reduce the randomness of spawns 

I'll consider having motion sensor turned off, but the maps are for sure staying as they are.

radars should def be off for a competitive 1v1 for the exact reason cizzats mentioned. Crouching and baiting the whole game doesn't really make for an enjoyable experience. On the topic of more enjoyable experiences I think having a 2nd map with a sniper on it will make it more fun. Back to back maps with just a BR is kind of boring. Just my 2 cents. 

I dont play much h2c but do enabling teams in a 1v1 affect spawns at all?

You're not even registered for the tournament, why are you complaining?  Lol

I dont play much h2c but do enabling teams in a 1v1 affect spawns at all?

Yes they do.
Also this should be rifles on map/double time for weapon respawns.

And why is that?  Also you didn't sign up either....

then teams should def be on to reduce the randomness of spawns 

No, it's still random starting spawns. But where you die will effect your next spawn I'm pretty sure.
Also it's harder to spawn trap on team settings in 1v1s.

Again, this is wasn't what was played at a high level back in the day.  But if players want to play as Red & blue teams then that's fine with me.

Dude Sanc is so huge it's not even about being the better player. What happens if you're off host and lose snipe? The map is so big it'd be ridiculously hard to even do anything. Might as well play on Coag.

I'm sure they'd love the help if you want to lend a hand organizing the next tourney.

When it comes down to it, Lockout, Midship, and Warlock are very small maps. If someone gets a lead and they choose to hide, then they are an idiot because they are going to give up position and map control. Also, since those maps are small, where are people going to hide? You can't superjump, and this isn't other Halo games that have a lot of extra stuff on the map that would give players a place to hide. If you try to camp and hide with a 1 or 2 kill lead on those 3 maps, you are going to lose very badly to a player that knows what they are doing. On top that, you people that are complaining arent even registered for the tournament (with the exception of Cizzzats). At the end of the day, competitive Halo 2 did have the motion sensor turned on for FFAs and 1v1s. With the exception of having Carbine starts, these rules were the same for 3 years. I'm not gonna change that because you people have been playing the wrong settings all this time. In terms of having Sanctuary, XYOX took the words outs of my mouth. It is not a suitable 1v1 map for any serious competiton. If players want to do teams, that's fine. And we could possibly do a 12 minute time limit instead of 15 mins in order to speed up the matchs. But everything else is staying exactly the same.
I honestly thought this was today, fuck me, now i'm sad.

Would spawns actually behave on Sanc though? I don't see it being a balanced start to the game.
I've played a lot of PGL 1v1s (no radar, human weapons on map) and spawns are pretty balanced.  You most of the time start at opposite bases (having teams on may make this occur more often?) or sometimes one person spawns hut and the other rocks, but that is pretty rare and I think it is a fair fight for that snipe at the beginning.

Dude Sanc is so huge it's not even about being the better player. What happens if you're off host and lose snipe? The map is so big it'd be ridiculously hard to even do anything. Might as well play on Coag.

I'm sure they'd love the help if you want to lend a hand organizing the next tourney.

Off host on any map in this game means you are screwed, host has such a huge advantage.  On Sanc getting a sniper at the beginning can actually help you, and if you lose it that is your fault.  On Lockout host player can spawn BR, shoot snipe to himself, and camp BR3 and see the whole top of the map and watch bottom open ramp.  On Sanc the map is too wide to watch and a player would have to constantly be looking left and right to see everything.  I've played a lot of 1v1s on these settings and I just feel Sanc is more fair off the start.  Anything that happens after is your fault (like losing sniper).  On Lockout, you may never get snipe, or it can be blown off the map for good and then whoever has host automatically wins.
It's a lot easier to get the sniper on lockout then you think and if the opponent is good enough camping will not work.

Off host on any map in this game means you are screwed, host has such a huge advantage.  On Sanc getting a sniper at the beginning can actually help you, and if you lose it that is your fault.  On Lockout host player can spawn BR, shoot snipe to himself, and camp BR3 and see the whole top of the map and watch bottom open ramp.  On Sanc the map is too wide to watch and a player would have to constantly be looking left and right to see everything.  I've played a lot of 1v1s on these settings and I just feel Sanc is more fair off the start.  Anything that happens after is your fault (like losing sniper).  On Lockout, you may never get snipe, or it can be blown off the map for good and then whoever has host automatically wins.

What we could do have is Lockout as the second map in the rotation so host can't have sniper.  I think that might be more fair.

As I've said before, for this particular event the rules and settings are staying as they are.  But that does not mean that we cannot have a future H2C 1v1 tournament with Sanctuary and no radar.  I want everyone to just keep that in mind.  

What we could do have is Lockout as the second map in the rotation so host can't have sniper.  I think that might be more fair.

As I've said before, for this particular event the rules and settings are staying as they are.  But that does not mean that we cannot have a future H2C 1v1 tournament with Sanctuary and no radar.  I want everyone to just keep that in mind.  

What do you mean by "so host can't have sniper"?  Do you mean the player that hosts 2 out of 3?

So in an effort to be balanced, the higher seeded player will host maps 1 and 3.  The lower seeded player hosts the second match, which in this care would be Lockout.  So although that player could have host and sniper and win the game, it's still a best 2 out of 3 set.  I don't foresee these settings and map choices being a problem, but enough people have a problem with how I'm running this tournament, then I am open to changing it for next time.

HYPED 1v1 TOURNEY LETS GO

can sign FKIV up please?
At this time, I cannot. With how our tournament system is set up, people do have to register themselves. There isn't a way for me to add users.

hypeee!

Two questions: is camo on for warlock and  is there a 5 second suicide penalty?

Two questions: is camo on for warlock and  is there a 5 second suicide penalty?

Yes and yes.