Some Personal Thoughts on the Current State of THF

Hi all,

I wanted to take a few minutes to write down what some of my thoughts have been in relation to our community since we launched the new site. Obviously we've seen a pretty significant decrease in user activity, and I want to talk about reasons why I think that may be, and explain things from my perspective about the purpose behind rebuilding the site on a new platform. But first, a few statistics.

Since launching the new site

• 678 unique users have logged in
  • 196 new users have registered
  • 0 bot/spam account registrations

I'm not listing these in an attempt to convince anyone that the site has seen tremendous activity since launch. What I am showing is that based on these numbers, we've had nearly 500 previous members of this site (users who were registered and active on the previous site) log in since launching the new site. At the same time, we've had nearly 200 new registrations, all of which are (as best I can tell based on lack of post spam) legitimate registrations.

With this in mind, I think it is fair to say that despite having a bit of a rough period getting users transitioned to the new site, 500 legacy users logged in points to a fairly successful transition. I'd have to look to know for sure, but I'd say it's a safe bet that we never had too many more than 500 unique logins over a 3 month period on the old site, meaning that everyone that wanted to transition probably has at this point.

User Activity

Now I want to talk about the resulting activity data associated with moving to the new site. Even without access to the statistics that I have, most regular members would realize that there's been a pretty significant decline in user activity since the site transition. There are a lot of potential factors with this, which I will discuss below. While I wont post explicit analytics, I can say that since launching the site, I can give some general insight.

• We average about half as many user sessions per day.
  • We average about a third as many pageviews per day.
  • We average about a third as many unique users per day.

The first thing I'd like to address is pageviews. Something to keep in mind is that Google Analytics is not overly accurate at differentiating between spammer/bot traffic and legitimate traffic. This is due to the fact it is a JavaScript driven tracking system, which means that its statistics are not captured at a server or DNS level (where detecting spam/bot traffic is more easily identifiable) but rather at a client machine level. However, due to the fact that our site URL structure has changed, and bots/spam often reach a site via referencing links, the portion of traffic that was previously bots/spam may have decreased as a result. While there's no way for me to know for sure, that is one possible explanation as to why we are seeing fewer pageviews, which consequently means that the data is simply more accurate now than it was before in regards to reflecting real user pageviews.

Anyway, now to a more subjective interpretation of this data.

I will be the first to say that the transition to the new site hasn't been without its hiccups. I expected that we'd have a rough period of users trying to log in and failing, and eventually locking themselves out. The facts of the matter are this. Three months prior to launching the new site I created a thread that every single user that logged into the site was redirected to. This thread explained that everyone needed to update their email address in order to ensure that they would receive their account activation email once we transitioned to the new site. Obviously I never expected everyone to pay attention to and follow those instructions, but I am stating that there was a clear message conveyed that this was a critical step that every member needed to take in order to ensure a smooth transition, and that it was done with ample time prior to launching the new site.

Second, the reason passwords were not able to be moved to the new platform is due to the fact that VBulletin and Drupal (our current software) hash their user passwords with different types of encryption. I spent hours researching in attempts to come up with a solution, but given the launch schedule and number of tasks still left on my plate, I was unable to come up with a method to migrate user passwords. It wasn't for lack of trying, it was simply out of my capability at the time.

With that said, as I mentioned earlier, we've had approximately 500 users from the old site log in to the new site, so roughly speaking, we have enough unique and active users on the new site to produce the levels of content (threads/posts) that we were prior to the move.  Which leaves us with, "If we have enough users, why is the site so dead?".

People don't like change

I feel this is really at the crux of the issue. We have plenty of logged in users, and we have a forum. Roughly speaking, users still have the same basic functionalities at their finger tips as they had before. The site looks a bit different, things aren't all in the same place, but my point is, we can make threads (excluding the recent issue), we can make posts, we can quote each other, we can send private messages. The communication stack is there, and despite some bugs, it's been functional since day 1.

What needs to be understood, is that prior to this transition, our website had seen almost no change in functionality since 2005. That's nearly 10 years that a lot of our most veteran members have been using a particular system, adjusting to it, learning its idiosyncrasies, and its capabilities. To move these members to a completely new platform I'm sure was nothing short of a shock to the system. Many of these users may have barely been holding on to their forum life, as it were, by a thread to begin with, simply logging in and reading out of boredom. This isn't even speculation, I know of several of our oldest, and previously most active members that hadn't made more than a few posts in the past year, but were always logged in lurking the forums. The significant change to the site may have simply been the straw that broke the camels back, and been enough of a reason for these members to finally give up the site entirely.

For people who fall within this category, there's very little I can or am willing to do. Is it unfortunate, yes. Is it understandable, certainly. However, I made a decision to buy this site last spring with the intention of giving it a new home that allowed for the potential to foster growth should the market place forces that be trend in that direction. Sadly, this has not been the case. The Master Chief Collection promised much, but in the end has been one of (if not the) worst video game launches to date, and the effects of that are nothing but widespread. HCS is an excellent example of a production that had every resource at its disposal and reason to succeed, yet their first season was absolutely dismal, much in part to a broken game, and much in part to a disorganized structure and overall lack of interest by the Halo community, and the  console fps community at large.

Blame where blame is due

There's another set of users who have transitioned and made attempts at using the new site, but have, over time, stopped posting due to the fact that their user experience is not what they expect it to be. Maybe it's the fact that there's no in-line post reply form, and it requires an extra click to post a reply. Maybe it's due to the fact that there are no user signatures, and people feel robbed of their ability to make themselves stand out. Maybe it's that the old site had 100 smilies, and the new one only has like 6. It could be a number of things related to the user interface or the user experience that has caused them to simply say, "Meh, this isn't for me", and move on.

I'll take the blame here. While it's true that you're never going to please everyone, the truth is that there are undeniably some missing components to the new site that people had come to enjoy and expect, and I didn't deliver on bring those over. That was part of the downside of moving to a brand new platform. Several people criticized me that I wouldn't just upgrade us to the newest version of VBulletin, or that I should have used IPB or some other forum software, and that's fine, but the reality is that every single one of those platforms, while more comprehensive forum solutions, pale in comparison to the extensibility of Drupal. I'm not going to sit here and make my case on that, I work in the industry, I work for a company that's launching sites for multi-billion dollar clients, and we use Drupal and only Drupal.

But the forum modules that I'm using for Drupal have only just recently been developed, and the ecosystem of features/functionality is still in its infancy. So why move to a solution that was worse off in the part of the site (forums) that we use the most? It goes back to planning for the future, and for potential growth (should the market support it). I didn't just want to upgrade to a shiny new version of shit software, I wanted to give us the ability to expand. I wanted to build on top of a platform that allowed us to quickly and easily add brand new features to our site that no other site to-date has. That's what I've done with the Video archive. It's a prime example of something I was able to engineer thanks to the infrastructure Drupal provides. Had I used anything less, it would have never come to fruition. It simply would have taken too much time to try to integrate fully with some other forum software. I would have constantly been fighting a battle of trying to integrate with overly complex systems and outdated methodologies.

You are the community

While I own the site, I alone am not the community. That's you guys, and if we want to usher in new users or grow our community and its reach, then that desire has to come as much from each of you as it does from me. If we simply want an e-home to discuss random shit, well then we have that right now. But if you want to see the site grow, I need people taking initiative, and not because I want you to, but because you want to. We still have polls, we can run competitions. We have social media accounts, we can post unique content. The new site alone is not stopping us from growing or expanding our horizons, but I alone do not have the power to do that.

Please, if you have an idea, make your voice heard. Do you want to help contribute articles to the front page? Please tell me. Get yourself involved in something that you are passionate about.

Where do we go from here?

As I stated in the March Update thread, I am currently working on implementing a number of new features and fixing existing bugs. I'd like to take a second to thank everyone that has donated over the past few months. I assure you that I have not forgotten about you, and when I am able to implement some more user customization, you guys will definitely be denoted in some way.

On the topic of continued development, it's happening, and I've recently made some changes to my workflow that make it even a bit more efficient for me. However, I must note that I have recently been moved to a project for work that is in its final stages, and everything I'm doing right now requires my absolute availability. We're working with a very large company to make sure their site launches mid-month, so don't expect to see anything in the coming days. However, it's worth mentioning that I did recently add a forum search functionality, so that is at least one example of something I've done recently to hopefully give you guys some faith.

Writing this has already pulled me away from my work for too long today, but I felt compelled to speak out today (for a number of reasons).

- Nv1

the halo market is dwindling after an abysmal MCC release and a clunky looking halo 5 beta. Personally I think trying to market the brand further will produce disheartening results. I come here solely as an off topic poster but I still have a large interest in other video games. I think opening up the brand, and sacrificing the halo niche will be the only way to gain significant and longer lasting popularity. 

Its kind of like how McDonalds went from just burgers and fries to eggs, fish, and chicken sandwiches/wraps. Yeah we have general gaming threads for other games but if this site were to rebrand (again?) the front page could host competitions for all sorts of games and attract a much wider audience with the common interest of gaming. I think in this ADHD plagued society people aren't sticking to just one awesome game. my brother will play some bloodborne, hop on bf4 for a bit and then sometimes play League of Legends. a lot of us started out here on h1 and h2 because those games were untouched by anything until CoD 4 cAme out. Now there are so many options.

after people flood in then the threads would be organized in different sections of the forum relevant to whatever game. I'm sure CoD, bf4 and RPGs would warrant their own sections with a lot of discussion/videos/contests

i appreciTe the honesty and sincere tone used throughout your post. You definitely have good intentions for this place. I'm on mobile in between classes so my thoughts are hasty.

Thank you for your comments @Windex. I have definitely given consideration to rebranding in terms of trying to expand to a wider market, but I feel that when you do that, suddenly you're competing with much larger, well established gaming communities. I'd like to try to bring something unique to the table in the Halo niche, but you're certainly right, it's been dying and so far there hasn't been much of a recovery.

Maybe if enough people abandoned this place, I'll be forced to do something like that. But right now I'd still like to keep our core intact. We're a Halo montage community at our heart, or at least, we were. But maybe that time has been past for a while now.

I would just wait and see how it goes for halo 5. The game is getting insane pre order numbers and could very much bring back the halo community(online). However, this is probably not the site to that because 90% of people here don't like the game and new users aren't going to want to join a forum that's just stuck on the past games and bitching about the new.

It's just hard because

a) There is literally no youtube content

b) Twitch stream numbers blow ass

c) MCC was/is broken

d) The game(s) just isn't as fun as it use to be.

e) PC gaming has pretty much taken over

Thank you for your comments @Windex. I have definitely given consideration to rebranding in terms of trying to expand to a wider market, but I feel that when you do that, suddenly you're competing with much larger, well established gaming communities. I'd like to try to bring something unique to the table in the Halo niche, but you're certainly right, it's been dying and so far there hasn't been much of a recovery.

Maybe if enough people abandoned this place, I'll be forced to do something like that. But right now I'd still like to keep our core intact. We're a Halo montage community at our heart, or at least, we were. But maybe that time has been past for a while now.

I'm thinking so. And it breaks my heart to be reminded of it.

Yeah there is larger competition. But marketing and cheap ads  go a LONGGGG way. I'm sure if  when the time comes we can help set up a plan to market this place.

If MCC wasn't still completely broken, most of these things wouldn't be an issue.
I hoped it never had to be this way, but maybe my montage will have to be the saviour of the forum... Jk. Seriously though, it does need something to spark things up. Even in the once so active CoT it is now about the same 20 people posting every now and then, and usually nothing that spectacular. Al's brown diary being one of the exceptions

We're a Halo montage community at our heart, or at least, we were. But maybe that time has been past for a while now.

A single tear makes its way down my face.

Got a few thoughts I'd like to put down but have to sleep now so will edit another time. Just make sure this place doesn't ever get censored like the pussies at beyond

We need to start by having more forum drama

I still can't comprehend how someone can possess such high levels of faggit that they stop coming to a forum simply because it's something new

I don't have thousands and thousands of posts wahhhh

I can't search and read threads made 8 years ago wahhh

I can't give or receive worthless internet points wahhh

I'm no longer a part of an exclusive club wahhh

I say fuck 'em. I will admit, I was happy to know you were going to transition post counts to the new site. I was proud of my number and wanted to keep it. I was about to break into the legit top 10 highest post counts in h2f history and that made me smile. Now, I don't give two fucks.

All I care about is coming here and reading about MV having another shitting day and just wanting to work on his projects. Or how XYOX was again denied passage onto the roller coaster. Or how Allison is stressing out over school and her bastard child. Or Platanos fake hood stories. Or to watch Davo once again shit on Grif with little effort.

Everything else means fucking dick.

Are we all just statistics to you?! 

But really, at least I won't have to worry about my montage not getting on the front page this year unlike in '07.

i j ust want  notifications when someone quotes you
Fake hood stories? Do I have to pay ya redneck ass a visit and fuck ya Mom after you? I'll burn ya corn fields nigga.
NO MORE WANTING TO HATE FUCK BONNIE ROSS. BAD HYENA
More tournaments or organized game nights would be nice.

Good ideas, but again, these are things that anyone here are capable of organizing. My oversight is not required at every step of the way. There's just a lack of overall motivation to spearhead things like this anymore.

Good ideas, but again, these are things that anyone here are capable of organizing. My oversight is not required at every step of the way. There's just a lack of overall motivation to spearhead things like this anymore.

I'll probably organize the next tournament.   

Edit: I will host and organize the next THF online tournament.

I'll probably organize the next tournament.   

Edit: I will host and organize the next THF online tournament.

<3

I'm sorry man, but your marketing and growth strategies are just so off it hurts me.

We are a website focused on a very, VERY certain niche: Halo.  Halo is a console game, and as such, only has new iterations every few years.  This means that there will be HUGE spikes in interest in the series around these releases, which as you know, will drop off slowly (or quickly, ahem Halo 4 and MCC).  This means that you only have small windows of opportunity to hit these huge numbers of traffic, much of which will be actively searching for us rather than making us do it in the first place.

My point in mentioning this is that you chose a platform that you knew was pretty shitty for what we needed because you saw potential in it for the future.  That's fine and dandy in some cases, but for a website relying on a certain video game launch every few years, and having this amazing opportunity to get 2 ridiculously hyped Halo games within a year of each other, you don't do that.  You say "Holy shit, this is our chance, let's make the website as amazing as possible now so that in the future we can upgrade without worrying about needing to  find the resources to do so".  This wasn't the case at all, and this website launch even missed the launch of the MCC.  Yeah MCC sucked, but when something sucks people go out and tell 10-20+ people about it, and the best way to do that is social media and online communities.  Look how big the original MCC thread is from our copious amounts of bitching and moaning.  Reddit has a different post on the front page about how shitty MCC is still nearly 6 months later.  People want to talk about Halo, we just don't supply the right means to do so with this website at the moment.

We missed the first window of opportunity.  Halo 5 is getting hyped up with a ridiculous advertising campaign, and if you want this website to grow you are going to need to 

1. Optimize it, actually make it worth using

and 

2. Spend some money promoting it, whether it's Google Display Ads, YouTube display ads, Twitter PPC, Facebook PPC.  Anything.

We lost our niche, and in order to get it back we will need a tremendous content and promotion push.  People need a reason to be here, and as long as you're saying things like "people here are capable of running a tournament without me", we are going no where.  You can't rely on a group of people who are a small surviving group, working for free on a nearly irrelevant website, to produce all of the content for you.  You're going to need to step out of your coding comfort zone and either allocate someone to officially do these things (not just "VIP" section access), or start them yourself.  All of the content creators here, myself included, love Halo to death and are still here all these years later.  We've been the ones keeping the website afloat and partially relevant in the YouTube and outside world.  Do us a favor and actually put someone in charge of this, even if it requires a few bucks a month to make it worth their time.  

A true content calendar run by someone would do this website wonders.

People need a reason to be here, and as long as you're saying things like "people here are capable of running a tournament without me", we are going no where.  You can't rely on a group of people who are a small surviving group, working for free on a nearly irrelevant website, to produce all of the content for you.  You're going to need to step out of your coding comfort zone and either allocate someone to officially do these things (not just "VIP" section access), or start them yourself.  All of the content creators here, myself included, love Halo to death and are still here all these years later.  We've been the ones keeping the website afloat and partially relevant in the YouTube and outside world.  Do us a favor and actually put someone in charge of this, even if it requires a few bucks a month to make it worth their time.  

A true content calendar run by someone would do this website wonders.

I won't speak about the marketing aspects, but from a content/group and forum activity standpoint i don't understand what evidence you've seen in the THF community or the halo community at large over the past four years that points to sustainable and relevant group activities ever being carried out with any sort of consistency. The only community activities this forum has habitually done with acceptable marks have been the montage comps, and thankfully enough people transferred over initially to keep voting numbers relatively consistent with the most recent comp. Expecting a community to just randomly start following through on consistently running activities is a foolish expectation, especially when there is zero benefit involved. Continually expecting members to cover fees, prize pools etc. isn't just unfair, it's also incredibly unrealistic. What's even crazier is expecting people to stand up and do that type of stuff when this forum, and interest in it, is at it's all time low. No one believes in the THF culture because there's just no culture here anymore. Lack of interest/moderation over the past 2 months has turned this place into a festering pit. If it wasn't for BX posting a couple articles and RVideo (who i hear literally had to beg for weeks to get paging privileges) managing to get a couple videos on there then the frontpage would look exactly as it did on launch. Meanwhile the competition is consistently killing it, consistently posting relevant news the day it happens, elaborating and linking the forum for discussion. Go back six months: THF was still the mainstay when it came to discussing and posting montages. Beyond had clearly taken over general and competitive halo discussion but people were always lurking THF checking montages, giving page views and clicking links to videos. Now you've allowed the forum to implode on itself and you've lost literally the only thing this place had going for it for the past half decade: Montage culture, and like i said earlier: The only reason half the content creators are still posting their shit here is out of nostalgia/habit... The longer this place continues as is, the more people are going to leave. You need to do something about it, otherwise this place is going continue dying a quick death.

ssbm needs a new consistent home.

but really i read through your whole post N1vnce and i love that you see small issues such as the reply button and smileys, bc i think that is a huge factor for older members. i think your attention to detail and being able to articulate a post like this can only mean good things for the future of the site.

There actually would be a benefit... and it would be bringing activity to this site. Regardless that it's a really tight knit community here at the moment, I'm sure if we started doin things like a Weekly Game Night or any other type of ideas people could cook up that we could showcase how much fun it is and that we still care about Halo as a whole.

People love watchin the underdog make a come back, and if we start brewing up our own activity I'm pretty damn sure we could get people to join in on the fun. This site has somethin for everyone, casual and or competitive.

I know I was super late to the party but I've lurked here for years and I regret not being a real part of the previous generation of this forum's life but in way, shape, or form do we have to let it end like this. Ya should start by talkin to each other a little more properly when discussing these types of matters and it's honestly embarrassing that I'm the first person to mention this but if I can be civil so can everyone else.

I think a solid start would be a lot of the current, active members here make Twitter accounts and follow competitive players and harass them with posts about this site since we do have a Twitter account for it. There's a lot of little things we can do here.

Gonna edit this post when I actually read what Nv posted and the rest of you guys did.

1v1 Fight Night with the 1v1 sit out gametype on H2C should happen once a week. If possible, pick a night each week for a specific Halo and a specific list of gametypes/MM shenanigans and or the one night a week we band together to play and produce a stream or just content in general if that makes sense.  Haven't slept yet so the wording might be off.

I will definitely be a lot more involved on the Halo content once I get a new monitor and X1 too. Still haven't broken down Nv's post yet, this was just a random thought that popped up.

1v1 Fight Night with the 1v1 sit out gametype on H2C should happen once a week. If possible, pick a night each week for a specific Halo and a specific list of gametypes/MM shenanigans and or the one night a week we band together to play and produce a stream or just content in general if that makes sense.  Haven't slept yet so the wording might be off.

^Yes.

And honestly everything is youtube and twitch these days. Until more people gravitate back from COD it'd be hard to keep this a halo only forum and stay afloat. Now, things that could help would be enlisting more youtubers *cough* Kampy *cough* and see if theyd help drive more people to the site. I'd do that but me nor Venic have the old account anymore. Other than that I'd say places like Reddit and twitter would be where you want to draw a good amount of people from.

^Yes.

And honestly everything is youtube and twitch these days. Until more people gravitate back from COD it'd be hard to keep this a halo only forum and stay afloat. Now, things that could help would be enlisting more youtubers *cough* Kampy *cough* and see if theyd help drive more people to the site. I'd do that but me nor Venic have the old account anymore. Other than that I'd say places like Reddit and twitter would be where you want to draw a good amount of people from.

Quoted for truth. Mentioned something about the really active members all making Twitter accounts and pushing the brand more. And the Twitter accounts should be legit accounts with a picture of yourself and what not if you ask me, but as long as you're promoting the @The_Halo_Forum Twitter account somewhere on ya own Twitter account regardless of showin ya face or not and post content from here you're good.

The new site is NOT hard to learn. I think the main issue is lack of motivation to discuss halo right now. I won't try to generalize, but at least for me I know everything there is to know about my game (h1) and use Facebook or texting to keep in contact with my halo friends. I'm sure most h1/h2 players would agree and I assume that is most of our users.

There are so many other sites for general discussion at the moment that h2f is not even on my mind unless I want to hear about halo.

I'd love to see the halo forums more active and I'll keep checking back until then. Hopefully mcc gets some ranking systems in place to motivate me to play more and post more.
Now could it be that this place hasn't been about Halo in a good...three or four years...
Some simple dedication and group effort can change that though. I hear ya though.
To be perfectly honest, you know what would be the best thing for this forum? If its members learned how to mod Halo Online. THEN it would be a real hub of activity.

Now could it be that this place hasn't been about Halo in a good...three or four years...

Good to see you Cursed. Yeah, obviously that's the underlying problem as far as bringing new members, although I don't think it has as much to do with the current quiet period. The suggestion about getting something exclusive around Halo Online would be really awesome though for sure.

I thought that game was specifically made for Russian residents? Like CoD Online was made specifically for China. If that is possible then we'd have a shit ton of content we'd be able to push out.

Prayin the Internet Jedi's figure this out.

Gameplay was released not too long again, like actual footage but I didn't get to watch it yet. The screenshot I saw looked real clean though.

I thought that game was specifically made for Russian residents? Like CoD Online was made specifically for China. If that is possible then we'd have a shit ton of content we'd be able to push out.

Gameplay was released not too long again, like actual footage but I didn't get to watch it yet. The screenshot I saw looked real clean though.

I've got it working on my machine - "working", as in the game starts and is technically playable. Modders have only just now started to make the game functional, just imagine what they'll have done a year from now.

Good to see you Cursed. Yeah, obviously that's the underlying problem as far as bringing new members, although I don't think it has as much to do with the current quiet period. The suggestion about getting something exclusive around Halo Online would be really awesome though for sure.

This place has basically been a burnout clubhouse for a long time now, so obviously repainting the walls is going to leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Also if we're going to blame someone, I nominate Z, because it's his fucking fault.

That's actually pretty dope. Depending on how quick these guys work we could have a "new" Halo to play by Fall.

Just two things. When new people make a video or montage don't be so narcissistic, and come down with a hammer. Yes maybe the content isn't what we are used to but remember when we all first started playing this game? Or first started making videos? If someone pumped out a video that is like Nakamuras, or BullXRape, we have people and I think we know who they are who nitpick and bash HALO VIDEOS. HALO VIDEOS BEING MADE IN 2015 GROW UP. If you pump out a video that is so good that I will go blind watching it then yes maybe your opinion would matter but in all honesty it doesn't. It just turns away potential montage makers, and users.. And makes you look kinda like a douche.

2nd Who wants to work on some community montages, and help good ol' blaze with a big team battle clan montage? wink Sigons, Skols, Blackhawk?

I've got it working on my machine - "working", as in the game starts and is technically playable. Modders have only just now started to make the game functional, just imagine what they'll have done a year from now.

This place has basically been a burnout clubhouse for a long time now, so obviously repainting the walls is going to leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Also if we're going to blame someone, I nominate Z, because it's his fucking fault.

Yep, still Z's fault.

I haven't come to this website because I'm set in my ways and don't like change. It feels like a totally different place.