Montage | Editor | Gameplay

Wizard | Editor: Halzred | Gameplay: Hyena
38% (33 votes)
Combat Evolved | Editor: B SiK | Gameplay: B SiK
37% (32 votes)
Halo 3 Montage 1 | Editor: Fatal | Gameplay: JoeyClutch
24% (21 votes)
Total votes: 86
Ahh no sorry. Just meant to reply to the after effects bit. 
It was close to perfect but the syncing at 2:18 to ~3:00 is so forced and choppy, doesn't flow at all considering how smooth the rest of the video is. Besides those 40 seconds though, the video is pretty much perfectly executed, especially considering it's his second edit (might be wrong on that).

A minor thing on the whole though. 

And B has been around making videos for just as long as I have, he's always pushed his content more than his editing until recently.

I agree with what Zhestal said, the best editing award ought to go to a video that delivers something original and fresh while remaining highly polished as well. A well edited video should really blow your mind to be honest, like watching Legacy for the first time and seeing that insane rain transition followed by the tear-jerker third song and ending. Obviously that's the extreme example but I feel that that's the kind of thing people ought to be thinking about when the words "best editing" are being tossed around. For anyone who thinks the editing in B's video is genuinely the best type of editing there is, that's totally fine, but keep in mind that I think for most people in this community, when you say "best editing" videos like Legacy, Dutchy M2 and M4, Prime, MWM, Makowski, etc are probably what's coming to mind.

Also, throwing out the whole "oh well the other entries were just overly flashy" really ignores how much more challenging it is to create a video with aggressive editing and originality that still flows well and has polish. Its enormously more difficult and ambitious to try to make a high intensity edit that's trying to accomplish something new fit together well and flow together well than it is to just use relaxed ambience music and hit your sync points. Its not even about the effects themselves, which I don't think are even necessary to a creative edit per say, although they can certainly be entertaining and help establish wow factor, its about how difficult and ambitious it is to create a heavily edited video that still ends up coming out really well.

Again no disrespect at all intended to B, I'm glad he came within an inch of winning the whole thing.

B Sik let his gameplay do the talking and the editing was there to compliment it. You don't need mindblowing and 'original' effects to be the best editor; you need flow and style. That's what he has shown and he stuck with it. I've seen way too many montages that have crazy effects that would put me to shame any day, but then don't mesh with the video and disrupt flow. Instead of being all over the place, B's video was one whole. I'm not saying he is or isn't the winner in my eyes; I haven't seen any other video in the competition... I'm saying that the editing he had shown was definitely one of the best I've seen in a Halo montage.

Best =/= most original or flashy

It's still kind of puzzling to me how we're downplaying the hell out of originality when evaluating the editing aspect of a video. I mean we do it with gameplay (Hyena initially won the subcategory with Wizard), so I see no reason to not take it into account when looking at the editing aspect. What I'm saying is pretty patronizing is it not? 

Comments like the one above have some truth to them as well as what Wanny and the others said. But they act as if all the other more ambitious edits in the comp just slapped a bunch of fancy VFX on a video with no regard for how it would integrate with the flow, music, and everything else (and I realize you didn't watch the other entries NIckV, so this would not apply to you). Omni stated this better than I did. 

But I guess the other side will always fire back with the same previously-stated shit:

• "B created a video that didn't need any fancy software effects."
  • "His video was so professional and flawless."
  • "He had to deal with Halo 1."
  • "His editing flowed so well and was so simple."

The list could go on. No one is refuting these true statements. But they seem to miss the point and deliberately try to water down the editing category. They just assume that any other consideration "was trying too hard to be fancy" without ever really showing that's the case. 

Think of it compared to movies. Do you see Michael Bay films or whatever winning Oscars for best editing because they use crazy explosions and CGI? (Spoiler, they don't). Yeah, they probably put more time into the editing, but films that are just clean and flawless beat them out for awards purely on how clean they're put together. Not to bash anyone else that edited a montage or anything, but saying B didn't deserve it is stupid. If you do think B deserved it... then stop talking about it, you're all coming off salty af.

Not gonna deny I'm salty. I've also been kind of an ass about the topic with the language I've used. I guess people can assume whatever they want from the comments; makes no real difference to me.

I've said multiple times that I didn't think B deserved the award. Plenty of people have - I would argue even that most people have. I guess we all got it wrong though, go figure. But I don't mind contesting the points as long as people keep making them. This site is pretty dead currently, and the whole point of a forum is meant for discussion, so I've never understood the rationale for discouraging discussion on a site that's specifically meant for it. Regardless, I've only been responding as long as other people continue to form responses that have something to do with this topic. It's not really me whose even pushing any topics for that matter. I'll stop making points when people stop forming statements that are on the same topic as mine. Again, pretty patronizing stuff that shouldn't need to be explained.

Also, the Michael Bay point is fairly interesting. But there's also been films such as Mad Max that won best editing in large part because of their originality. I didn't like the plot itself so much, but that movie had some really ambitious editing and VFX. But obviously the movie wouldn't have won the award if the VFX added nothing to the experience or only hurt the experience.  One of the reasons I keep responding is it seems like people continually think that I'm saying that fancy VFX = originality. And that is not at all what I'm saying. Responses like yours only further miss the point because they assume that I think "crazy explosions and CGI" or other unnecessary effects are what good editing is. The point has been misconstrued time and time again.

Think of it compared to movies. Do you see Michael Bay films or whatever winning Oscars for best editing because they use crazy explosions and CGI? (Spoiler, they don't).

That's not even what he's arguing lmao. Fucking learn to read. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills rn reading all the responses to Sucky.

You're missing the point of what they're saying entirely

Literally nobody is saying BEST FX EQUAL BEST EDITING. 

Best part is B edited his whole tage in after effects. 

This hasn't been a unique or special thing thing to do for years. 

Id also say it's pointless and stupid considering the amount of fx he used.

If you guys want to bitch, take it up with Hyena, Dutchy, Kampy, Quigz, and BxSouljah. Fucking hell

Just to kinda clarify why B SiK ended up winning best editing because everybody's having an aneurysm, one of the judges rated B SiK's editing 1.5 higher than everybody else's which tipped it enough to edge out the video that most likely would have won. 

Lol, well that's the nature of being a judge. But yes, this is true.

Lol, well that's the nature of being a judge. But yes, this is true.

Just wanted to quote you so people knew why I was posting because I wanted to give a little more context to people's bitching without looking like I was only trying to pour gas on a fire LOL. Only throwing a few more sticks into it. 

The editing in Bsik's video was near-perfect. Wonderfully executed and some of the most flawless editing I had seen in years. 

But the editing in it's entirety and the way it played in on other factors was ok at best. There were no highlights, momentum, or anything else that even had the slightest chance of evoking some emotional response. It was a bit bland, despite the technically-almost-perfect editing. I think this is the blurry line people have difficulties critiquing. 

But yeah, sickening amount of bias over here. I bet you fgts voted M2 over Contractus as well. idiots. 

The editing in Bsik's video was near-perfect. Wonderfully executed and some of the most flawless editing I had seen in years. 

But the editing in it's entirety and the way it played in on other factors was ok at best. There were no highlights, momentum, or anything else that even had the slightest chance of evoking some emotional response. It was a bit bland, despite the technically-almost-perfect editing. I think this is the blurry line people have difficulties critiquing. 

But yeah, sickening amount of bias over here. I bet you fgts voted M2 over Contractus as well. idiots. 

Lmao. Hey Dennis, nice to see you.

Your point was a bit unclear to me at first, but I think I get what you're saying and I would agree, there weren't any standout moments in terms of a climax or anything like that. Only thing that comes to mind was the intro clip with the spartan jumping up into the air.

From my perspective, one of the things B's editing accomplished was that it allowed the clips to build on each other, so instead of the editing creating that climax sort of moment, the clips themselves seemed to do it. It's kind of like how in a song, the same melody can get played over and over again, but it's the intensity and the "fullness" of the sound that builds over time, which turns it into an epic song as opposed to repetitive garbage. Soundtracks like Interstellar come to mind.

Just rambling at this point, maybe that made sense. Maybe not.

Can't disagree with you. But to each their own. 

Good to see you as well! 
stoepezel

There were no highlights, momentum, or anything else that even had the slightest chance of evoking some emotional response.

This was my core point in my previous posts and something i told Bsik directly after reviewing his montage. It lacked the core ingredients that have traditionally made Bsik videos so infectious on a production level. If you asked me what the most peripherally engaging (everything outside the gameplay) Bsik video was of his 3 core CE montages then this entry would have been at the bottom in comparison to his other videos. To each his own but it still seems like the majority of people in this thread are championing very solid editing as being "great" editing when this community since the dawn of time has routinely rated more emotional, dangerous and groundbreaking editing higher what we consider to be "solid work". There is nothing but evidence to support that, even going back to the original comps with the likes of Vrbas, who made his name primarily on his production merits at the time, not his gameplay. The whole subject matter continues to reek of pandering to me 

Bruh since when are you the most articulate person in threads and also saying things I agree with. tf? Haven't been around long enough to have the reference of these old comps but I agree that B Sik's edit here was very solid and worthy of praise, but absolutely not perfect and imo shouldn't have won the subcategory.

Bruh since when are you the most articulate person in threads and also saying things I agree with. tf? Haven't been around long enough to have the reference of these old comps but I agree that B Sik's edit here was very solid and worthy of praise, but absolutely not perfect and imo shouldn't have won the subcategory.

I might be extreme and rude at times but i'm not sure what i did to make you think i was uneducated lol. 

I was a lurker back during the Vrbas days but I did play with him a little at one point and I distinctly remember him winning said comp being the first time I saw the editing vs. gameplay argument rise up. In hindsight, it was the beginning of a new era for montages where production became more of a requirement for making a solid video. I didn't go back and check the thread on archive but I remember it this way: Vrbas won the comp because of his effort peripherally, whereas many of the entries he beat out had better gameplay but were all cut from the same cloth in terms of production - Any OG feel free to correct me there as i'm literally going back 11 years for the memory.

Not that he was the first, or the last, but going above and beyond and being different is a part of the montage tradition and part of this forum's culture when it comes to montages. Why was every forum member ecstatic when Halz returned from the dead? Because Halzred was a pioneer in more than one way, particularly with the sound of his videos - he's remembered because he did things differently: He was unique. Things are a little different today but back in 2006 he was Editing Royalty - Which is my only point really. Bsik is without question a King in his own right, but not for his editing. No video in this competition will be remembered as an edit that stands near the likes of Prime, or Dutchy m2... but to suggest that CE's editing is the entry that stands closest to those types of videos is a little bit ridiculous.

It's not about the result on paper, it's about the perception of the video from an editing standpoint. I think some people in this thread would be thinking more clearly if they took their nostalgia goggles off - something I know quite a bit about seeing as i'm the resident pretentious halo 2 kid. If it was about the principles of the editing then why is Bsik's video the only one in this discussion? I can think of more than one entry that was really on point in terms of fundamentals and flow and for some reason not one person mentioned those entries even though they display all the requisites that people have been attributing to Bsik and his video. That's very strange to me. If there were no names or titles in the intros and you watched the top half of the entries without knowing the creator of each entry I very much doubt anyone would stand up and shout out "THE H1 VIDEO HAD THE BEST EDITING". That's just my opinion and at the end of the day none of this matters, I just think everyone would be better off calling a spade a spade. Again, nothing but love for B. Well deserved finish and a never ending source of motivation for me. I just don't think it was the best edited video in the competition. 

>HYENA wins

well deserved... this is literally the only thing so far that has made me glad for entering this contest. kek.
Gratz Hyena

I'm so fucking glad you exist. Literally the savior of Halo.

Thank you Nv1ncible

literally better than Z, which isn't much but cheers.
Which ones are worth watching for a person not interested in Halo anymore? I won't even try H5 because those bleeps are making me grow tumors on my eardrums.
I see. So nothing? B sik wins editing then
at least hyena won and not some cuck