Afterlife. Believe in God? Heaven and Hell?

I would like to know what others think about Death. Do you believe in Life After Death? Are you scared to die?

I truly believe in Life After Death.  And not scared to die, just how ill die. And leaving loved ones behind.

This is one of those topics that typically happens in the debate forum (not surprisingly). So I've moved this thread into that section (first one btw).

I'm not scared of myself dying today, but I only worry of the impact it may have on family and close friends.

And I'm not sure about the afterlife... I don't believe their is a god up there that allows such pain and suffering on his creations and expects us to bow down to him for some pre-meditated act of sacrifice for the human population, but I certainly hope and think there is some sort of spiritual and collective afterlife.

Like, "we" are god.. consciousness is god. It's not a particular thing or person, but a collective group we assimilate back into after death. Consciousness as a whole, not like "we die, retain our singular consciousness and go to the pearly gates" type of bullshit. But I've also read a ton about Buddhism and DMT and the correlations they inadvertently had (DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Strassmen), even before science. Call it new-age shit, whatever you want, but read a book or two about it just to see what's up. I will never say I 100% subscribe to it, but I will say that it makes the most sense to me as far as the afterlife goes. 

I can't tell you if that's true or not, but that's what I hope to believe. HOPE to believe is the truth, yet, I know we cannot know either way, regardless of what your belief is, and I accept that mystery. 

Retain good morals, whether you base them on a book of religion or not, treat people well, and live your life how you see fit that doesn't harm other people, bonus points if you aid others. Iif you do this, you're a good person, and if their is a god, you'll be in his favor, even though he seems like a cruel, indecisive dick anyways. 

Nope. Dont understand why its such a hard concept. You havent been here for billions of years and youre just going back to that. Fuck eternity anyways

I do not believe in a deity, but I think the existence of a deity would be impossible to know in principle, so who the fuck knows. We are complex physical beings, and just because we do not understand how the human mind works, that does not imply the existence of a soul.

I would rather live a happy, fulfilling life and be erased from existence when I die, than spend my whole life worrying, only to find out at the moment of death that this is all we have. So in a way, the opposite of Pascal's Wager.

The thought of there being no afterlife is not depressing or discouraging in any way to me. If anything, it's motivation to pursue my passion and make an overall positive impact on the world. At the same time, it makes it that much more upsetting when observing all the evil in the world. It's impossible  for me as an individual to create meaningful change, when the powers that be have perfected the art of controlling and exploiting everyone, and when you try to bring this to their attention, they think you're crazy, ignore you, or simply don't care. So all I can do is live a happy life and try to be friendly to everyone I encounter.

@BuK, I think the DMT angle is very interesting, I've done some light reading on that myself. I also like Terence McKenna's theory that the "forbidden fruit" parable is a reference to psilocybin mushrooms, which were (in theory) the key to the evolution of human consciousness.

Nope. Dont understand why its such a hard concept. You havent been here for billions of years and youre just going back to that. Fuck eternity anyways

So you dont believe in after life?

So you dont believe in after life?

no

Pascal's wager is honestly one of the worst arguments ever.

In terms of staying on topic, although I believe that the universe was created consciously, I don't believe in an after life.

I used to be horrified of dying. now knowing that it's inevitable, it's not so scary. I think there is no afterlife. once you die, that's it. fade to black and your left to wrestle with your conscience for the rest of eternity.

although I believe that the universe was created consciously, I don't believe in an after life.

elaborate pls

Well personally, I don't buy into the universe sort of 'happening' (something coming from nothing) (i.e. the big bang), so I think that there is a 'creator' for the universe, but I do not believe that this creator made an afterlife, because it obviously wasn't powerful enough to create a perfect world, therefore I can draw the conclusion that the creator
A) Doesn't care about us
B) Wasn't powerful enough to make an afterlife

Also I think an afterlife is kind of pointless as it makes this life redundant.

Where did the creator come from?
The creator is a necessary being (cannot not exist), you can also argue that the universe is the necessary being, but we can prove the universe is finite and therefore had a  start/creation.
Changed title. So the people who dont.believe in Afterlife dont.believe in god? Or you believe in a higher power? I believe in demons, so I have to believe heaven is real. I have experienced "Ghost" incounters multiple times. Ill find a video of my cousin experencing an encounter in hes home due to.him and friends playing the ouija board.
Personally I do not see any reason to believe or not believe in an afterlife so I feel free to believe whichever of the two I find most useful for my goals in life. From an entirely rational standpoint, I'm agnostic on the subject because the burden of proof would fall on anyone making a claim because it is a fundamentally impossible thing to empirically know either way and both seem equally implausible. For all practical purposes of my life, I do not believe in an afterlife because of issues with reward systems surrounding the concept, me finding the nature of passing on your essence of self through interactions of others poetic and an afterlife cheapening that imo, and I figure I'll strive to do more if I think this is all that I have.

Granted I regularly play with the idea of us generating our own afterlife in our final moments of death with increased brain activity yielding a time-warped version of whatever afterlife a person wants which they can live in "forever" because of the spike in activity warping time. But because there's no evolutionary reason for that to occur at all, I can't take it seriously as a hypothesis.
Try reading some of William James; 'the Will to believe', it's good for the stuff you seem to be having trouble with in terms of a life after death. Or at least where I'm standing from.
I have no idea what happens when we die and neither have the rest of you.

I don't believe in "God", an intelligent higher power, or any kind of silly magic. Don't anticipate an afterlife, I'd bet against it's existence. With that said, being agnostic is relieving to me, and I love the idea that this is my only life and it's a fragile one. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have even been born, and think my views help me to appreciate this world much more than I did when I was raised Roman Catholic. Alas, I have respect for other people's beliefs and although I see many organized religions as a catalyst for seperating us as a human race and historically causing millions upon millions of people to be killed, I let people do what makes them happy.

If I had to jump in one boat it would be the one filled with Atheists tbh. The nice anti-radical kind.

The day I find out "God" exists is the day I curse that vile fucker for "working in mysterious ways" and allowing plenty of amazing people to die without intervention. Sorry if that's offensive to anyone here.

I've came up with what I believe in around 8th grade or so. I believe what happens when you die is you just go into basically REM sleep and you just have a never ending dream more or less based on your conscious on earth. Whether you believe what you've done is right or wrong would decide your "heaven" and "hell" more or less. I have a better time believing that then people hanging around on clouds. I'm not into religion or anything, I classify myself as an atheist. Part of me wants to believe in something happens after you die, blackness just seems dull to me.
I'm in slater's boat. when ya die you're dead and that's that. 
I believe in God. 
I'm an atheist, and I have zero tolerance towards christians. There's something so sad about people that have to throw themselves down for some higher power, instead of having the confidence to take control of their own life, living however they want instead of how they are suppose to. And somehow christianity is a step ahead of any other religion on the scale of ridicule. 

You think no Christians live how they want?

What about the other religions? do you have zero tollerence for all religious people?

No, not really. Just christians. 

I agree with just about everything buddhism stands for, but I don't want to sign myself up for any religion.

edit, not going to go into this topic because its too large and branches out in so many different sections, im talking very generally, the stereotypical christian up against the stereotypical whatever other religions. i dont agree with any radicals in any religion, and im not going to discuss them because they are all wrong

maybe i have a negative view on christians because ive been up close with them and its the one ive been in contact with, and completely shut myself out of. maybe its that christians are people with more freedom and less pressure from their peers than in any other religion, and they still decide to believe in fiction. maybe its that other religions have a more fulfilled purpose and is represented with clothing and other recognizable features, while christians are just regular people like everyone else, until they open their mouths about something higher and lose all of their credibility in that very second. i may be ignorant on this topic, but its my personal view and its how i feel.

its hard to explain myself on this without hurting peoples feelings, but i understand how large this topic is, and what im talking about is only a small portion of the whole cake

In their defense, there are so many different sects of Christianity, and plenty of them don't live a strict subservient lifestyle. No offense but to be that intolerable towards Christianity and not feel that way about other religions is ignorant. There are radical Buddhists who kill Muslims, and radical Hindu's who burn wives in a pyre if their husband happens to die. I don't think you understand the full spectrum of how differently people can worship under the umbrella of one religion. What you just said is pretty stupid IMO.

You having ZERO tolerance for 2 billion people? I think that's much more sad. Expand your horizons man. I don't know how else to process what you posted. If you take those views seriously, you're quite creepy tbh.

Congrats on 10k, I guess.

I agree with just about everything buddhism stands for,

lol. what

Well personally, I don't buy into the universe sort of 'happening' (something coming from nothing) (i.e. the big bang),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UemhCsaeGgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

First video was good, really enjoyed that it grappled such a difficult concept in a short amount of time (if you're interested by what I meant by nothing, I mean the last definition of 'No laws, no space, no time, no particles and no radiation'.)

Not even going to watch the second, after writing a Philosophy essay I just don't want to think and have my brain engaged for an hour, will edit when I get round to watching it.

Personally I think if you have any interest in the subject at all then the universe from nothing lecture by Krauss is definitely worth watching. He's done it a lot of times now but there pretty much all the same so the one I linked will be fine.  Definitely a lot of interesting stuff to learn there. 

The creator is a necessary being (cannot not exist), you can also argue that the universe is the necessary being, but we can prove the universe is finite and therefore had a  start/creation.

Careful with that equivocation.

Are leaders worship Lucifer(Satan) behind closed doors via secret societies ( brotherhoods )

If you think I'm joking or talking out of my ass I dare you to go spend a few hours a day researching this stuff. ( no, not illuminati youtube videos made by 15 year olds... pick up a fucking book..... research aleister crowley, helena blavatsky, Karl Marx, WIlliam Cooper, John Todd, Kent hovind  ) ... I already know no one will so I'm speaking to the choir but if your to lazy, youtube it idgaf... same results.

There is some truly terrifying information out there.... down right disgusting vile horrible truths about a lot of people we look up to as a society.

So personally, I believe in christ and I could care less if anyone even a family member thought I was insane.

Gotta do dat research.... and if you don't want to, then you'll be in the same spot as you are now thinking im retarded lol... its impossible to look up this shit and not be mentally changed/switched... literally impossible.. I dare you to try with an open mind.

Gotzeus?
#infinitemonkeycage

I already know no one will so I'm speaking to the choir but...

Butcher the saying then lay it out ass backwards. Damn, that's talent.

I could care less if...

http://youtu.be/cKxILa9qK8E?t=31s

Are leaders worship Lucifer(Satan) behind closed doors via secret societies ( brotherhoods )

If you think I'm joking or talking out of my ass I dare you to go spend a few hours a day researching this stuff. ( no, not illuminati youtube videos made by 15 year olds... pick up a fucking book..... research aleister crowley, helena blavatsky, Karl Marx, WIlliam Cooper, John Todd, Kent hovind  ) ... I already know no one will so I'm speaking to the choir but if your to lazy, youtube it idgaf... same results.

There is some truly terrifying information out there.... down right disgusting vile horrible truths about a lot of people we look up to as a society.

So personally, I believe in christ and I could care less if anyone even a family member thought I was insane.

Gotta do dat research.... and if you don't want to, then you'll be in the same spot as you are now thinking im retarded lol... its impossible to look up this shit and not be mentally changed/switched... literally impossible.. I dare you to try with an open mind.

crowley is a known nut and FICTION writer. Marx doesn't talk about ourCurrent leaders at all. Cooper and Todd are both well known conspiracy theorists. Some sources you've got there oh enlightened one..