Montage | Editor | Gameplay

Wizard | Editor: Halzred | Gameplay: Hyena
38% (33 votes)
Combat Evolved | Editor: B SiK | Gameplay: B SiK
37% (32 votes)
Halo 3 Montage 1 | Editor: Fatal | Gameplay: JoeyClutch
24% (21 votes)
Total votes: 86

Thanks for pointing this out. This is from the original article that Slater posted when we announced the competition, so I had forgotten about some of the details within it.

The runner up to Wizard for best gameplay is Combat Evolved. I'll reach out to Hyena, Halzred, and B SiK privately to resolve this.

I'll message you on Discord, I can help ya.

me neither, that's not why i commented. I also don't think the rule that was made should have to be followed per se, because i don't believe him winning was unfair in any way even with him as a judge. i just didn't agree with it being fair by default, and thought it was weird setting up a rule and then not following it. still think wizard deserves the best gp award, but i leave that to Nv1 and the contestants to figure out

Wins best gameplay and best editing ~~ doesn't win entire contest :^] 

B didn't win best gameplay

B didn't win best gameplay

That's correct. Wizard won best gameplay, it may just be the case that it isn't eligible for the prize money.

Then it wins :^]

Were these entries judged on a scale of 1-10 or something for sub-categories? I'm still just baffled B won best editing after going back and watching some of these other entries. Especially considering who was on the board. Some dipshit judge must have watched Take That, and because it wasn't his taste or some bullshit, he gave it a fkn  5 or 6/10. 

I guess I agree with Omni that there just weren't as many good editing entries as compared to the past, but it's not really fair to compare when there were only about 50 entries this year. There were a lot more in the past few contests from what I remember. Neither of which is a good reason to give it to B. There's literally no good reason to give it to B, period.

I realize I've made my point enough already and that the judges put a lot of their personal time into rating the entries and what not.  And B's just a great guy and everything, and he made a great video (and blah blah blah - just play the world's smallest violin as I could go on and on with this pleasantry bullshit) But srsly, some things just deserve a strong rebuke.

It would be ridiculous to say I'm indifferent at this point. I believe the judges probably gave a fair, unbiased, and well-thought out critique (and it shows in the "most original" sub-category award, which was correctly given to Trev). But that's precisely what perplexes me most in regards to the editing award. I'm not sure what the fuck the judges were watching lol. It's blatantly fucking obvious this is not the best editing entry in the competition. And the fact that he could win both the gameplay and editing categories really just isn't fair to the other entries at this point. 

Never thought I'd say that about the video I voted for to win the overall award, but I guess unfortunately for you guys, it's simply impossible to avoid controversy even in a dying genre of a contest. Ain't that something now. It seems to me though the sub-categories are sort of meant to be a good opportunity to recognize lesser-hyped entries, which I originally figured was an intended side-effect of preventing the judges from winning the awards. But maybe not, I'm not entirely sure that should be the case. 

But B for both categories? Come on now, lol, let's be honest with ourselves. There's plenty of good entries in the competition for the love to be spread around. 

You're not even remotely giving enough credit to @B ‍'s editing. Do you realize what he was working with? Halo fucking 1. There's no theater, the stuff he pulled off was nothing short of amazing. And what's even better, is that is was all so subtle and flowed so well that you hardly even noticed it. That's the sign of a top level edit.

Oh fkn please lol, the masked spartan transitions and the crazy angles he got gave me as much of a boner as anyone else. I've already given this plenty of praise before, so no reason to regurgitate it again. 

But I didn't expect it to win best editing entry when I said all of that. It shouldn't be winning the best editing category because of the work it took to get the angles imo. How long did it take Strangestick to make his edit again? I'm pretty sure it took that man 2 or 3 years. And RT has to deal with the MCC garbage can as well. But I would never pick those 2 to win the award because of the hard work they put in. They were just flat out better editors in those specific entries. That's it. And for no other reason. And the same goes for Fud and DoubleAA. It's not even that subjective really; doesn't take a dumbass to figure out the difficulty and execution of the effects, flow, and angle transitions being done in those other four entries as compared to B Sik's. B's video was a satisfying and more enjoyable watch I think from just a likability standpoint than some of the other better edited entries, much like Phase II was for me as well as others. But we're just focusing on one particular aspect of a video for a sub-category and not the whole thing. 

Nv, I would agree with you that it was very much invisible editing, and it did flow very well. 

But this is 2016 and halo montages have been around for 10+ years. Editing isn't supposed to be invisible as in TV or feature narrative films. It's an integral part of the experience, and while no one ever clarified exactly what the parameters for the Best Editing award were, I think a safe interpretation is that the award should be given to the video with the editing that did the most for the video, or was otherwise the most outstanding editing. B Sik is a great entry and imo well deserved it's 2nd overall finish (if not first), but it isn't the best editing.

B SiK winning best editing is pretty stupid. It was a clean video but nothing unique or special about the editing. 

I thought this was interesting as well. Was very clean and i think it was the perfect way to edit that montage since the main focus was on the gameplay in my opinion, but, oh well, the editing wasn't the reason i voted for it anyway.

It depends on your idea of editing and what you look for. I thought B Sik had the best flow to it (tbh I didn't watch ALL the videos though). It wasn't the most creative or have the best FX. But from a technical stand point, it was very well done.
I'm of the opinion that the entire purpose of sub-categories should be to recognize the entries that didn't make it to the end so I don't really see the point of giving two of the three categories to the runner-up.  And as others have mentioned, it was a very clean and technically well-executed video, but the edit itself wasn't that impressive. I'm pretty surprised that Fud didn't win best editing for one of his videos, they were both fantastic. I really enjoyed BlackHawk's edit as well, really nostalgic stuff.

^^^^^ that. 

More people should be talking about Summer Colors in terms of best editing. 

Agree. Wouldn't have complained a bit if it was given to Fud.
It's kind of pathetic to see how much whining there is about the subcategories, it's put a major damper on this thread and the conclusion of the contest. If you guys want to bitch, take it up with Hyena, Dutchy, Kampy, Quigz, and BxSouljah. Fucking hell

I'm sure we'd all like to give the comp a satisfactory goodbye as much as you would. I don't think anyone (or at least myself) is blaming you anyways. The judges scores are what they are. 

Even if the results remain unchanged, none of this really puts a damper on the competition in my mind. This place isn't much of a forum anymore if people just give their pleasant farewells to the comp and never give their real opinion. At that point, people would probably feel enough closure to just stop visiting the forums as much lol. Some honest feedback is better than none at all; a little tension isn't anything to fret over in a declining community with hardly a spark. A forum isn't really a forum without dissenting opinions anyways.

Honestly, the competition was set up well in my mind. The voting results for two sub-categories just seemed ridiculous, and it's nothing more personal than that. 

Warning: modafanil addled rant about this competition and the state of Halo below. Skip to TL;DR unless you have a few years to spare.

I may as well throw in my two cents here:

This competition has always been a shitshow, for starters. That's kind of how it is with online competitions run by people whose day jobs don't involve running online competitions. That's not even necessarily a criticism, because as online competitions go it is actually not bad. In fact, it's mostly very slick. But still a shitshow, still primarily a popularity contest, which is inherent in a community where image both heightens success and also defines it.

I remember being pretty gutted back in (I'm guessing) 2009 when The Animatage lost out on the 'most original' category to a jumptage made by very popular names in the Halo community back then. It seemed ridiculous to me that a standard montage, which doesn't need to be original to be entertaining, was being judged for 'originality' against a jumptage which by definition has to be original to be entertaining. I felt like they were being judged on an even playing field when the field was anything but. If a jumptage has unoriginal clips that don't push boundaries, it automatically sucks and nobody will watch it. If a kill montage contains the same, it's just one of the thousands (especially back then) of average cookie cutter montages being released which can still get plenty of views and mild praise.

To be fair, (my memory of even last week is really poor so I'm reaching here) I feel like back then as a precious little 18 year old introvert who'd yet to try therapy or mushrooms I may have failed to eloquently explain or even rationalise that point to even myself, and I think I may have bitched about this double standard without actually explaining it, right there in the thread, even when the voting was happening, (lol), and potentially threw away a few votes and maybe even the win. Who knows, we're talking seven years ago here. Regardless however, the main point I chuckle at to this day was still that a montage I had poured my heart and soul and time I should have spent in class into editing, a montage which to this day I am surprised to still get nostalgic comments and gentle, humble little circlejerks for (as I now view it with a very critical eye) was being scrutinised to death on illogical terms next to a very well done jumptage by some very well known Halo figures. Sadly, this is how the whole competition is, and I'm sure it's even worse for other people.

Like I said, these competitions are primarily popularity contests. That's not to say that the entries that win did so only on the basis of the popularity of the people involved, (they're all great of course) but it is a huge factor in the outcome and always has been. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember a vaguely unknown or less popular person in the montage world dropping in and stealing a top three or even a category out of nowhere. It certainly didn't happen this time around, (how did Evadur come away empty handed, for example?) and it's a shame because it creates the sort of atmosphere that puts people off joining our sadly dying world. Competitions should be the sort of thing that people look at and imagine themselves being the ones wearing the crown or drinking a year's supply of coke or going to some creepy guy's sweet factory and witnessing all kinds of mentally scarring violations of common sense health and safety rules. I really doubt anyone vaguely new to the montage scene is looking at this competition and thinking 'I am so going to enter if they do one of these again!' which is sad. Even if there was a 'best newcomer' or 'best uncool kid' category, it would still at least address the misbalance of this type of competition a little bit.

Like others pointed out,  it's also weird that it's so common in this contest (well, this year's for sure) for a montage to take a top three place and one of the four categories... especially stuff like best editing and best gameplay - every montage is being judged on these qualities. Even if it's a jumptage or a plasma pistol tage or a hostboot tage, people are still comparing them to established qualities of gameplay and editing. No shit the top entry has the best gameplay; it's almost impossible to win 1st place without gameplay considered the best by a large number of people. Doesn't that then inherently mean the categories should be separated? I think they would work better as an 'honourable mentions' subcategory, for example. Then you wouldn't need to have people rightfully point out that a slick as fuck edit that wins number two without really breaking too many boundaries seems an odd choice for 'best editing' category. I'm not at all saying this because I thought I would win best editing: for the record, I 100% assumed my entry, having gotten rekt by a social H5 montage in the first round and only gathering around 2 pages of replies, (1/4 of it wince-level trolling from someone whose every post depresses the shit out of me and makes me want to slice out whichever portion of my brain handles empathy - which, to be fair, most people who entered something can also say) was all but forgotten about. I didn't expect to open the thread and see my name, just as much as I didn't expect to open the thread and see a polished, clean and 'traditional' edit in the 'best editing' spot. I can't even remember the names, but I know for a fact I watched so many entries that deserved that spot more, especially in light of the montage in question having already won the second best spot.

I also want to address what others said about Hyena as judge. Hyena is as solid a nicotine addict as you can meet in a dark alleyway, but that's really irrelevant. Again: is no part of this competition hoping to further, better, bolster, (insert more -er words here) the Halo montage community? Maybe I'm just even more nuts than I thought I was, but surely attracting more people and trying to keep the scene on life support must be part of the objective. If so, why would you expect any newcomer to not be put off by the fact the judges aren't excluded from entering, and especially not excluded from being a judge whilst also being one of the most popular names in Halo right now. It's nothing to do with transparency or Hyena being either the worst and smelliest kind of shit or the freshest, most buy one get one free bottle of febreze in the shop (hint: he's the latter) and everything to do with that kind of conflict of interest just by definition being something that makes even the daring '10TB of BluRay ISOs on my PC' type rulebreaker like myself frown. It just sends the wrong message - except it actually in this case sends the right message, because it gives you a huge clue what the competition is about. Unless you can literally prove to me that the same number of eloquent, experienced, montage hardened judges couldn't have been pulled from the community whilst also having no desire whatsoever to enter, then I think it's fair for people to criticise it as a weird decision.

Honestly speaking here, I'm not upset because I didn't get a $75 reward for Take That!. I'm actually trying to break into the big world of editing footage that doesn't involve video game men shooting each other, so if I was mad over $75 then I presumably wouldn't have much hope for my career. Anyone who is subbed to my channel knows I have been working on it on and off for about two years, way before the competition was announced. The only thing I was upset by was losing out to a steaming heap of shit Halo 5 montage. No offense to Kampy, who I think was the one involved, but I say that because I think Halo 5 is a steaming heap of shit, as does 99% of the community here, so getting outvoted by a montage involving Justin Bieber in Halo form with Justin Bieber music and editing was kind of like waking up as an eight year old on Xmas day and finding santa clause shitting into your stockings, except when you go to noscope that pussy to teach him a lesson he fucking sprints away to the fireplace, then does some weird fart and thrusts his way up the chimney. I blame the Russians.

Jokes aside, it stung, but kind of in an ironic way: I had joked with Koggy and my wife and a few homeless people who couldn't get away from me (they had no home to go to) that I would probably get knocked out in the first round by a big name, so karma sorted it out and also put a cherry on top. It doesn't matter though: like I said back then, the bottom line for me was that this competition inspired me to pick up something I had shied away from for months because it was so exhausting, and to churn that shit out in a few months. I quite possibly may never have finished Take That! otherwise, so I genuinely am grateful to this competition for giving me the kind of artificial deadline I need to act like a functioning adult. I'm also grateful to everyone that put their time into entering it and running it, it's genuinely the most exciting the Halo scene gets for a while.

I think the bottom line is that with Halo in the state it is, everything nowadays takes more effort. The lethargy of trying to stay hyped in a near-dead community is fucking real. Investing time and (especially for the bigger entries) shitlots of time into a product where you know the views and feedback are ever diminishing gets harder literally every fucking second. One of the biggest draws of these types of competitions used to be the exposure, but now this competition gets a fraction of the votes, and an even smaller fraction of that already tiny fraction as comments, which for a lot of people (if they're like me, which I guess they actually might not be) are some of the best rewards you can get. Investing hundreds of hours into something, especially if it is just for this competition, and then getting a hundred extra views and maybe 8 extra comments if you're lucky is a pretty poor investment. I know this is partly an inherent factor of Halo being dead, but the issues I have mentioned with the competition make this fact a lot worse. I'm at the stage now where I feel like there's a good chance I will make my final with all the actually very good clips I've been weirdly saving since I started playing like some dumbfuck magpie who hasn't heard of the word 'depreciation'. Maybe it will be a year or whatever, but the point is that if it were to coincide with another mystical THF competition, I wouldn't bother entering. Not out of spite, but just because there's no point... I never integrated with the scene much, but at this stage I've sent enough animated emojis to ishii on skype to think at this point I could light a trail of diarrhoea on fire, slap a custom HUD on it and get him to put it on the FBW channel when it next opens for business in a year or so.  That's most of the views you're going to get these days, and I can live without a few nicely typed positive comments split evenly with some pure essence of desperate autism. That's just the way it is - I'm not a bad loser, in fact I've taken so many huge throbbing Ls in my life I'm literally the champion of losing at this point. There just seems like nothing to gain from entering anymore.

WTFL;DR:

Halo is fucking cliquey. It's more cliquey than High School Musical set in an alternate universe where there's also a hardcore (or just more realistic) race war at play in the musical numbers. As an ex-introvert (or extroverted introvert?) I used to shy away from the community side, because it didn't feel very welcoming, and it felt like I would have to try too hard to 'prove myself' and I've always resented the BS teenage style notion that you have to stick your neck out, maybe even put on some facade, just for the most basic level of acceptance. It's saying something that out of all the shitty, cliquey Halo communities, this one is the least shitty, and the one I still visit. These days however, being the least shitty community isn't enough to run a good competition. As a montage producer, you're lucky to get 2000 views spread between your own channel and FBW. THF had their own Halo channel that could have done well, but it was given up on. FBW still holds the most active subscribers, but as far as I can tell it's just Ishii running it now and that guy is a hard working chap with not much free time, so it is largely given up on too. Both of those are channels that would still benefit from some kind of system where up to 20, 40 (it really doesn't matter) quality Halo content producers are given access, and are allowed to upload if just one other person on the team gives it the green light. The roster could be updated every week to reflect the average commitment to these channels, even. I digress, but the point is there's no excuse for there not to be a community channel uploading Halo videos, because all the lack of one has done is made the remaining community (on YouTube at least) even more cliquey - it's now a rush to have your own successful channel, to upload clips all the time if you want to stay relevant and keep a good viewcount for your serious content (ie montages). There are a few channels with a 'high' (for Halo) subscriber count, and they don't even bother promoting other Halo content, at boosting views of the community as a whole. Maybe it's competition, maybe these people really think they can make any kind of money with a few thousand subs on YT (the answer is no, no you fucking can't) but for whatever reason, the atmosphere is such that they'd rather take a shot at a tiny amount of visibility rather than help pull the Halo community up, and it's sad. The only person I know even trying this is SillyGoose, and it isn't close to enough. This forum doesn't have any pull when it comes to getting people visibility, so the only real incentive is money, and when it comes off like and functions like a popularity contest that's not going to attract any newcomers, or inspire any uninspired oldcomers. I think the best possible function of these competitions is to strengthen, invigorate and promote the community, so when it fails at these things, then it is definitely a problem.

This 'cliquey' problem resonates down through the community right through to this competition. Even if THF never does another one, it doesn't matter: someone might, and it wouldn't hurt to hear the flaws in this competition so they can avoid making them themselves. If this post is offensive to anyone involved in the competition, or anyone at all (which I doubt, because it's way too long to bother reading anyway) then I am truly sorry. However, my man Sucky said it best: 'A forum isn't really a forum without dissenting opinions'. See that? Nice. Eloquent. Gets many points across with few words, rather than the opposite like I did. I could learn from this guy.

PS: A heartfelt congratulations to all the winners. Every single winner here represents fantastic skill in at least a few disciplines. It's all quality content. My rant isn't directed at you in any way, and I don't want it to come off like I think none of these wins are deserved, because they clearly are. It's more just rambling thoughts about issues with the competition that developed into a rant about the state of Halo. Oh and thanks to anyone who said nice things about my entry. That's always been the best kind of 'reward' for me.

PPS: I really appreciate all the time and planning that goes into this competition, so I'm sorry if my post seems overly negative. I just think it's productive for the future of our troubled, feeble community for everyone to make their opinion on this kind of stuff heard. Peace.

Footnote: reading this post with a less overstimulated mind a few hours later, I guess the real TL;DR of my post is that I think the best kinds of competitions like this are ones that bring in more posters, more contributors, more everything. Even if the end goal is just to bolster this website a little, nothing wrong with that (it's usually the inspiration for these things) and helps the cause overall. I feel like the way these competitions are run doesn't do that at all now: they feel very closed off and uninviting, and that's genuinely sad.

I could probably just delete the rest of the post with it condensed that sensibly, but I really did enjoy the majority of it where I ranted about the state of Halo and don't want to take that away from past me. Good job, past me. You nailed it.

It's kind of pathetic to see how much whining there is about the subcategories, it's put a major damper on this thread and the conclusion of the contest. If you guys want to bitch, take it up with Hyena, Dutchy, Kampy, Quigz, and BxSouljah. Fucking hell

me being agreeable or disagreeable about the subcategory rewards has literally nothing to do with the outcome of the contest or how I feel it was policed (or not policed) or how i feel about you or this website. It comes from the fact that i'm on a halo forum where discussion and said parity is supposed to take place. A list of awards was released, the list was not accurate (pretty unanimous at this point minus maybe one or two people) - People are going to debate the merits of the list and give their opinion. can't speak for everyone but when i post on topic i feel as though i'm fulfilling my obligation to this community, not doing it, or you, a disservice. 

OT

I don't understand the Bsik pandering. I love the guy, he's my main source of inspiration, he has nothing but my complete respect as both a halo player and human being. I loved his video, i loved how it was put together. It was not the best edited video in the competition. That's not a sleight, that's just how it is. When you vote for dunk of the year, you don't vote for the fundamental consistent dunk that gets the job done night in and night out - You vote for Gerald Green or Vince Carter or Zach Lavine or Darryl Dawkins or Shaun Kemp etc. You vote for the enigmas that inspire you. That's why subcategories exist. Beau and Bsik and JC are the players of the year: The Michael Jordans, the Lebrons, The Larry Birds (Bsik is larry bird spoiler alert). They have their time in the sun. Coincidentally, Beau and Bsik have had their time in the sun for many many years, much like an LB or MJ. The subcategories are designed to honor the proverbial flashes in the pan (no disrespect intended to any of the other videos), not further monopolize the success of the all time greats. Surely that's really fucking obvious and i think that's why people are bothered. That's why i'm bothered at least. 

I really believe that the top three videos were the best in the competition. Maybe a video or two could be argued here and there but thats about it, so the popularity argument is kinda weird. Honestly its not like Fatal and Joey Clutch have been huge names on this forum at all.

The popularity argument probably pertains more to the sub categories. However, I think that B Sik was the best edited video still. The whole argument for needing effects and just because "he had the cleanest edit but nothing really else" is lame. The reason this montage got top two in the competition is because of the editing and how the video is put together. B put together the most professional video of the bunch and it didn't require any insane fx or 3D. Its that simple. To say you need to be the flashiest editor to win best editor is just odd. I think a great example of this is in the CS scene where Clayman created possibly the best edit for any CS video at the time and it was in the exact same fashion as B did.

Again this isn't doging the other videos and editors because everyone that entered did an amazing job for the most part.

Just throwing my 2cents in because its what everyone is doing.

And its still complete bullshit how early Take That and GCs video got knocked out.

I already apologize to comparing  B Siks to possibly the best edited gaming video

To clarify (because my post was a bit of an addled ramble) I was more commentating on the sub categories, like you say. Although the popularity thing goes beyond just personalities, as I should have explained. Type of gameplay, which Halo is featured, style of editing, music choice... these are all things revolving around popularity that unfairly affect the prowess of a video beyond its actual raw successes in this competition.

And just to throw in an opposing opinion, I think Fatal is pretty well respected on this forum (and rightfully so IMO) but you only mentioned one video with those two people anyway. The top two spots were taken by people who are basically halo royalty at this point. Not to say they didn't deserve it, but you can't really downplay their popularity either. I think it's all pretty interesting to talk about anyway.

Just to be clear though: the top three videos are all excellent videos. No dispute there at all.

Ya fatal is respected around here, but neither are big names in halo like Hyena and B, and there is really nothing wrong with that.

I do agree that those two were probably the most "popular" entries, but like I said before, those two should've easily been in the top 3.

I've sort of said this already, but the fact that B didn't need as many "flashy effects" (a term that gets used a lot primarily to downplay the significance of difficult effects that are well-placed - a key feature of RT's edit) is more of a good reason to give him the overall award because of a preference in video presentation style. Not because of actual editing skill.

I liked B's choice to go with the style he went with, and along with the gameplay, that's why I thought it was at least a top 3 entry. It just wasn't as creative or skillful in the editing department as some other entries.

I don't think anyone is saying that a participant needed to be overly flashy to win the award. It just seems reasonable to have a standard for when specific transitions and effects were used, how they fit (was it necessary? did it detract from the gameplay? did it add to the experience?), and THEN how difficult was this effect or transition that was used and so forth. B's video had a lot of well-placed harsh cuts in the main body portion of the video, whereas Summer Colors, Take That, Keat HRM, and a few others had more ambitious but still extremely well-placed effects throughout.

That was my analysis anyways. Probably the ambiguous criteria for evaluating the sub-category contributed to its result. But pretty much sk0ls took the words out of just about everybody's mouth, so that's about all that can be said at this point.

Didn't follow this competition at all, but after watching the final three I was happy that they were the videos voted into it.

More people should be talking about Summer Colors in terms of best editing. 

So I looked up this video and so many people still seem to have the same stance on what "good editing" means. Effect quality (interchangeable with quantity) or time and effort I guess? The edit in Summer Colors was fine. Pretty alright actually. Yet, the effects, transition placement, and overall flow are true principles of a good edit. I respect effort into trying to make effects or angles as original as possible, but with the years of experience and trial and error passing by for previously mediocre editors, the skill ceiling for editing a sick effect, sick transition, or sick angle into a video is incredibly low. You can output four incredibly hard thought out transitions one after another, but if the flow of the video is imparted by these effects it becomes a distraction. If it adds nothing to the video other than flashiness then why is that constituted as a good edit? The point of gameplay montages is to showcase the gameplay and if the editing becomes more of a distraction than a additive then we might as well ignore the gameplay entirely and critic the editing itself....

I've always been a fan of editing, visual effects, and the thought process when making a halo video. I've  never made a big cool montage like all of you have. I've never really had a respectable presence on this site and  instead followed ideals more than I thought for myself. I don't have a leg to stand on. So maybe my idea of how editing should be is wrong, but it's definitely why I stopped caring on making a big video or following the scene. Everything is the same these days. Every edit has some similarities to another and the peak has probably been met. So when I see a video like B's that is actually entertaining and different I can finally sit back, enjoy, and stop being critical. I did vote for B's video, but that same feeling came with the other two as well. I just enjoyed B's editing more. I expected Hyena to win with the same reasoning most people are griping about, user popularity and legacy, but it's always been that way and there's no way of forcing someone to vote objectively especially in today's world where opinions are either one or the other.

I don't even know why i'm posting about this shit anymore. Congrats to all the winners.

Don't know why people are all going on about Summer Colors. Some really nice effects in it, but it feels like swimming through Jello watching it.
Yeah, not a fan of Summer Colors. If anyone actually thinks it deserved to win best editing, you're wrong.
Yeah, it's not even remotely close to being the top edit in this competition.
congrats to the winners!

On the editing side of this competition, i was honestly disappointed. I usually think of the best editing subcategory to belong to a video that is very polished while bringing new ideas to the table, something like Dutchy M2, but there really wasn't a video like that. I don't think B's video should be considered the best edited video of this competition but i really can't pick out a better choice. Maybe Take That, but it lacks the polish to be considered the "best edited video" (still love it though).

But yeah, subcategories should target the entries that didnt make it to finals but deserve some recognition for areas that excelled better than all other videos unless the finalists actually were the best in these areas. Good post from sk0ls too

Congrats to the finalists and Hyena. Really love how these things tend to bring out the best content.

Also, is there any reason why we stopped public voting for the subcategories for this and the previous competition? Correct me i'm wrong but i remember the H3FMC2 working like that. People voted Roadblock for best gameplay and Dutchy M2 for best editing. Judges only selected a "judge's choice" which was Frenetic Array and picking nominees for these subcategories.

I've sort of said this already, but the fact that B didn't need as many "flashy effects" (a term that gets used a lot primarily to downplay the significance of difficult effects that are well-placed - a key feature of RT's edit) is more of a good reason to give him the overall award because of a preference in video presentation style. Not because of actual editing skill.

I liked B's choice to go with the style he went with, and along with the gameplay, that's why I thought it was at least a top 3 entry. It just wasn't as creative or skillful in the editing department as some other entries.

I don't think anyone is saying that a participant needed to be overly flashy to win the award. It just seems reasonable to have a standard for when specific transitions and effects were used, how they fit (was it necessary? did it detract from the gameplay? did it add to the experience?), and THEN how difficult was this effect or transition that was used and so forth. B's video had a lot of well-placed harsh cuts in the main body portion of the video, whereas Summer Colors, Take That, Keat HRM, and a few others had more ambitious but still extremely well-placed effects throughout.

That was my analysis anyways. Probably the ambiguous criteria for evaluating the sub-category contributed to its result. But pretty much sk0ls took the words out of just about everybody's mouth, so that's about all that can be said at this point.

What the hell? This is such a terrible opinion.

Honestly this whole post just reads like "B didn't do as much stuff in After Effects/Max as other editors therefore its not as good"

Best part is B edited his whole tage in after effects. 

Cool thing also about B's video is it had zero fat to trim. There are things in all of the other videos that could have been improved on editing wise. B perfected his video whether you think it was up to your standard or not, it's the most professional looking video in the contest. 

That's such bullshit you just spewed. 

I don't care what environment he did his editing in. From what I remember Strangestick does all of his editing in Vegas and I thought he deserved to be considered.  I think it's evident by now that no one, including myself, is saying that B's video was not a good edit. I voted for it to win the contest damn it. I liked his harsh cuts, and his masked transitions, and his light flickering, and all the other elements that contributed to the atmosphere. It looked professional. That's all been said.

Apparently though, the fact that B shouldn't have won best editing is not as much of a consensus as previously thought. But a lot of his editing isn't as creative or outside of the box as the four entries I have consistently mentioned. That's what I meant by the "skillful" phrasing, and that is not meant to be a slight to his video. But for some of the other entries, not only were they outside of the box editing-wise, but they really, I thought, added to the experience. 

Now clearly to me that seems reasonable, but if we can't agree on that, I'm not sure what else can be said. I never thought what you said previously was a terrible opinion, but I think you're over-reaching here. Nothing about what I said is really that controversial. 

Best part is B edited his whole tage in after effects. 

Cool thing also about B's video is it had zero fat to trim. There are things in all of the other videos that could have been improved on editing wise. B perfected his video whether you think it was up to your standard or not, it's the most professional looking video in the contest. 

Did you mean to reply to me? That is exactly what I said a couple posts ago.

Also, for the record, that specific comment I gave about B's video is basically the exact same opinion that Puba, Omni, and NoobSalyer gave. And in no way did any of their comments imply anything about fucking editing software. All that matters to me is the end product, and that will tell me all I need to know about how ambitious the project was regardless of the software. Hell, all I use is Vegas anyways. 

Lastly, a video with nothing but 1 second cross-fades between clips and no syncing to the music technically has zero fat to trim. It has perfect editing for what it sat out to accomplish. Just see where that fucking logic takes you. What's the incentive to do anything different?

B's video had plenty of ambitious characteristics in its own right. But there's obviously a fine line between creativity and perfection when evaluating an entry, and I'm sure that's just intuitively understood. 

I mean really, even if it's true that B's is the only perfect video editing-wise in this comp, then tell me: where are the mistakes in RT's H2 edit if that's the case? I'm  not the greatest editing critic, but that video seemed pretty damn perfect and more ambitious to boot. But it's not as long as some of the other entries, and so I would take that into consideration. But still, there's not a whole lot I can find wrong with Take That either, other than it's not "professional" or "clean," but that's exactly what it doesn't try to be. It wants to be different, yet it still has a great flow, pace, and understanding of the track it's editing to. It's not like I'm trying to recommend the Blackout-style of editing when I talk about creativity.