Technology Discussion Thread V2.5.01

Discuss all technology related things here.

Thought about making it in C.O.T for more visibility but still not sure.

Go crazy

When I get home from work, hopefully bolting my CPU cooler up. I need to buy some more Shin-Etsu. Almost bought some 980's but I don't play shit so it wouldn't have been worth it. Decent flip potential though.

Does anyone here use a mechanical keyboard?
yes get one

They're absolutely worth it, although budget dependent.  Filco would be my recommendation, but there are many great ones out there.  Here are a couple resources if you want to get into it in a bit more detail:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/index

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/buying_guide

I honestly can't recommend getting one enough.

Nice, I have a Leopold FC700R and FC660M - brown switches.
Ah nice.  I've got a Filco Majestouch 2 Cherry MX Blue switches, a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate with Cherry MX  Blue switches, and a Rosewill RK-900BL that I gave to my dad (black switches).  I've been waiting on a switch tester I ordered from Massdrop to decide which keys I'll get on my next one, being as I'm thinking of getting a Cherry MX Green switch keyboard.  I hear they're like Blues, but they take a bit more force.  I've also got to find one that's not backlit, it's the reason I don't like my Razer much at all.

i've had a few that i've bought and sold over the past few years.

Filco MJ2 Ninja w/ MX Browns, modded detachable mini-usb

1st KBC Poker #1 w/ MX Blues & Blacks

1st KBC Poker #2, white PBT & red gasmask

Noppoo Choc Mini w/ MX Blues

these are the ones that i currently have:

Ducky Shine II w/ MX Reds & White LEDs

2nd KBC Poker w/ modded MX Ergo Clears, stainless steel plate, black PBT set & Cherry red escape

You've owned all of those? Fucking dope.

I'm only a one time [current] user.

been using the Corsair K70 RGB. It's pretty fun to play around with, when people come over they usually comment on it while it's doing colorful light shows lol.

Just bought this. My buddy got one for the Super Bowl, and even though I was working a 24 hour shift I stopped by his place and caught a bit of the game, and in a well lit room it was still very bright, the picture was around 110" diagonal and still flawless and much better that my older 1080p lcd. I also ordered some surround sound equipment, but nothing fancy at all.

Looks dope dude. Friend of mine has been looking for a projector but keeps bouncing his budget around.

Trying to resist impulse buys right now. Dude came up with a set of 980's for sale for $650 "OBO", he let them go to a friend so my wallet is safe again. Need to get my random stuff cataloged so I can (attempt) to sell it. Need to also start an RMA for a monitor, dead pixels be nasty.

also sup wugumZ duwggg lol

What makes mechanical keyboards so good/worth the money?
In the keyboard and microphone market as of recently. My 3 year old Sidewinder X4 has been great, but unfortunately a little plastic brace broke and now my space bar likes to come off every now and again. Not an immediate problem, but an increasingly annoying one. For a microphone, I've been using my shitty webcam mic in combination with my ATH-M50's, so I'm not looking to step back down to a headset, but I definitely need something better to use with them. My budget there is under $100, preferably $50 or less. I know that doesn't buy me a Blue Yeti, but it should be good enough for general mumble/teamspeak/streaming chatter. I already see some good recommendations for keyboards, but I want to stay close to the look of my Sidewinder X4, it fits in well with the rest of my desk and peripherals. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any experience with high(er) end mechanical keyboards? Just got my tax return in and I plan on buying a new gaming keyboard and mouse. Currently, I'm still rocking my Logitech G500 mouse from like 4-5 years ago and just your normal, every day $20 keyboard.

I'm interested in the Corsair Vengeance K70 MX RGB and the Logitech G700. Does anyone have any experience with either of them? Would you recommend anything else around the $160 keyboard / $100 mouse price range? 

//edit

Just saw Mav's post.. do you like that K70? 

//edit again

What about a good PC gaming headset? 

Where could I test keyboards out at? Think a place like Best Buy would have different mechanical keyboards on display? 
If you're looking for a mechanical keyboard, you'd be better off just ordering a swtich tester
ohhhh neat.. I'll give that a shot
It'll let you get an idea of which switch you might want first, and I personally think BestBuy has a terrible selection.
oh damn, glad I checked the Best Buy website.. the G700 is $30 cheaper than Newegg right now. Just placed an order for pick up

Okay, so I had a moment of weakness

this keyboard almost feels better than a blowjob... almost

and holy shit does the matte black look sexy as fuck with the LEDs

Whoever above posted about the RGB K70.

I think it's fucking awesome, but in all honesty the light show gets old pretty quickly. Sure it's fun customizing the color patterns, but gaming while there's a rave going on your keyboard is incredible distracting. I leave it on flashy light shows when not gaming, but switch to normal stationary lighting while gaming. As for the feel, I absolutely love it. Typing is great with it.

Yeah, I can see how super flashy programs could get annoying really fast.. when I'm just browsing, I have my Chroma set to just slowly fade between all the different colors slowly, so it creates a nice ambiance without being obnoxious. But I have a League of Legends template set up with only the keys I use set to specific colors based on what they're used for. When I get the time, I'm going to set up some neat color animations tailored for specific champions and their abilities, cooldowns, etc. 

I've always liked Sennheiser, but those Audio Technica's are great. For the price point, they sound probably the best. Friend just recently bought a pair and they were considerable better than my Sennheiser HD555's. The Audio Technica's are like the entry level headphones into the audiophile world.

It also depends on what you plan on using them mostly for.

Edit: the model of Audio Technica's I was referring to above was actually the ATH-M50X

Also check out the Sennheiser Momentum's, they just dropped in price.

Really wanting to get a 27-inch monitor. Got my eye on a few things, but do any of you guys have suggestions? Would like the best bang for my buck.
Do you do any gaming or anything?
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a nice 27-inch for $160 on the day I posted that. It was the last day of the sale on Newegg and I didn't think I'd find a better deal. Also got a solid deal on a mechanical keyboard. I'll post pics and stuff when they get here in a couple of days. I'm excited.

what switch?

@Craftyvertan soundmagic hp200 if you ain't got an amp, dt990 if you do. if you must choose from those, hd598

i've still got my trusty denon d5000's after so many years. rather than any of the above i would try to find a used pair of denon d2000's but it's unlikely you could get them.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a nice 27-inch for $160 on the day I posted that. It was the last day of the sale on Newegg and I didn't think I'd find a better deal. Also got a solid deal on a mechanical keyboard. I'll post pics and stuff when they get here in a couple of days. I'm excited.

Monitor came in today. Feels like I'm living a new life after pretty much only using a 18-inch. It's this one, btw:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27D360HS/ZA

I feel so terrible that my P2715Q has basically sat in it's box since I've bought it. Had been looking at the HP Z27S to attempt to compare them but simply do not have the time.

Had a water pump and another CPU cooler die on me recently so dealing with those RMA's. Been going through old drives and found ones that were on their way out - reminder for me to buy more externals.

Trying to catalog all my other crap so I can list it to sell.

April bump

Ended up getting a Swiftech H240X, running good. Need to RMA one of my monitors, got a few dead pixels. Need to RMA a waterblock as well. Need to make some backups and also buy more storage soon.

Bought GTA V PC but have yet to play it, I actually haven't played much of anything since Novemberish.

Need to finish my spring cleaning and get all this extra stuff sold off.

I've really been wanting to play one of my old games that I played a long time ago that was released in 2000. I decided to use a virtual machine and install windows vista. Luckily enough I got it to launch and I could start a game.

http://gyazo.com/2c9d45b5cd178540aad705d5199bcedf

Navigating around seems to be a little slow though, and if I up the resolution at all the game starts to get slow. Got any suggestions? I've rarely used virtual machines and don't know much about them.

I've really been wanting to play one of my old games that I played a long time ago that was released in 2000. I decided to use a virtual machine and install windows vista. Luckily enough I got it to launch and I could start a game.

http://gyazo.com/2c9d45b5cd178540aad705d5199bcedf

Navigating around seems to be a little slow though, and if I up the resolution at all the game starts to get slow. Got any suggestions? I've rarely used virtual machines and don't know much about them.

Did you try ditching the virtual machine and just running the game under compatibility mode?