Ascendance ft. Lethul [A Halo 5 minitage]

My first montage. Any criticism is welcome.

You overuse camera angles and you're way too reliant on them to sync. I'd recommend you learn and become proficient with just syncing clips and establishing flow before you start adding angles, effects, and etc.

You overuse camera angles and you're way too reliant on them to sync. I'd recommend you learn and become proficient with just syncing clips and establishing flow before you start adding angles, effects, and etc.

How would you recommend syncing clips without cutting to angles? Would cutting the clip itself be better? I feel like it can be kinda jarring when a clip cuts forward to sync up, cause I tried that at some points.

First and foremost, you should be looking for clips that fit the sync points the best. As in, the clip you choose to place at a certain part of the song should ideally fit perfectly. Obviously this isn't always the case so then you can manipulate the clip by speeding up/slowing it down, cutting, or adding angles. If you find yourself needing too many angles or having to manipulate the clip too much, you're probably trying to force it into somewhere it doesn't fit.

Oh okay that makes sense, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be using them whenever I make another video.

No problem. Keep making videos :) easiest way to improve.

Honestly this is a huge improvement from your first video.

A good way to understand basic flow (which you have a decent grasp on) would be to just watch some videos that Zola has made. Watch  for when he cuts to an angle, why he cuts to an angle, etc. 

I'd also reccomend trying your hardest to sync the actual clip first and only use angles to heighten the sync.

Just keep asking yourself questions on the playback like "does this help progress the video, etc"

Agreed here. You should try to make sure that each angle is advancing the 'story' of each clip per se. The two main issues I had with this vid were the overuse of angles and some audio/visual syncing problems. The angles you used were kinda nice on their own but they were disruptive when weaved in with the GP the way you did.

Not entirely sure what happened but throughout this there are audio sync issues that are pretty jarring for the viewer and are hard to ignore :/ One of the most obvious examples is 0:30 but I noticed it several times. 

Other than that, not a bad effort here.

Yes, this is definitely a great way to improve. I usually take really good videos like Legacy, Best Man, etc. and look at transitions or effects frame by frame to better see how they do w/e I'm looking at. Just watching good montages over and over again will help you develop a feeling for what good flow looks/feels like.