Best Montages in the past 5 years?

I know what you mean Fatal. I had the same problem after the first watch (and second, and third). The first song is really hard to watch for me too. It isn't bad and i wouldn't say that there was no flow but you really had to focus 100% on the video to get it. Honestly, i am only watching the first part because of The Dear Hunter (aka best band ever). Piano Frenzy's Part is my favourite just because he is a fucking genius and his gameplay fits Local's editing style/song choice to 100%.

These last two were taken off Youtube but here are the download links:

Ryosuke by Kiko Mia 

Immortal Technique by Lat3ksi

Kinda late but don't these work for you guys?

Second one does not work.
The lovely mix of youtube and copyrighted music.
both work fine for me

I've watched the final song of Legacy about 15 times in the past two days.  Went back to the original thread and found this gem of a post from me. My opening thoughts on Legacy:

hmm.. some of the stuff was sick.. some wasnt..

Gp was a letdown.. 
Editing was generic for most of the tage with the exception of a few parts.
intro was well done. 
didnt like the music
i hated the crop he did. I like seeing the entire screen..
also did it feel choppy for anyone? felt like he had all the clips playing faster then normal or something.

anyways top 5 videos for me.. but ive enjoyed other videos way more.

I've watched the final song of Legacy about 15 times in the past two days.  Went back to the original thread and found this gem of a post from me. My opening thoughts on Legacy:

hmm.. some of the stuff was sick.. some wasnt..

Gp was a letdown.. 
Editing was generic for most of the tage with the exception of a few parts.
intro was well done. 
didnt like the music
i hated the crop he did. I like seeing the entire screen..
also did it feel choppy for anyone? felt like he had all the clips playing faster then normal or something.

anyways top 5 videos for me.. but ive enjoyed other videos way more.

aw man i love that part so much, i find it really emotional (lol i know) and beautifully put together. I was literally thinking about this today a few hours ago

aw man i love that part so much, i find it really emotional (lol i know) and beautifully put together. I was literally thinking about this today a few hours ago

Same. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that post haha. The song is unreal and the clip at the end where he sees the trocity and just can't hit it was a perfect way to end "Legacy".

I was just talking about the last song in Legacy a week or two ago.

Part 1 : Music
  • This is hard for most people. Everyone has favorite songs they love to use, but we mustn’t use them every time. Don't fall into the trap of thinking “i love this song, it would be great in a montage.” It's always tricky to mend songs together that are completely different. The first and final songs can be different, but the song(s) between them need to be similar to both of the other songs in order to mend them together, or this is where the editing comes in, find a way to mend two different sounding songs. When I’m watching a montage that uses multiple songs- I don't even want to notice that the song changed. Thus, the flow is held perfectly together. The music is crucial to the pace and in turn, is crucial to the flow. We sync our clips to the music. In a way, the music is the foundation to the montage that we build on. If our music isn't on point with where the flow should be, our montage could fall apart. Don't build your house on the sand; let it be rock solid. Here is how i envision the music being related to the flow of the montage. Side note: here is a song transition i did in one of my montages that i thought i mended really well. (Ignore the rest of the montage)

So, i was going through and watching some of my old favorites a day ago. I don't mean to name drop, but Zola had really strong song transitions here, and here. I'm trying to justify the song transition here. I don't want to blaspheme, but did it work well because we needed a brief dull moment? Does it work? Why/why not? Trying to understand it.

I've decided it works quite well. This part of the montage. Acting as almost a separate part, acts as the main crescendo of the montage. Leading up to our climax it does a good job building it up. "Alright, here we go. Give it to me." is what i remember thinking the first time i watched it. So, i think it serves the climax well.
How i feel after that final song transition building up to the climax: MFW Crescendo.

The way Legacy ends honestly makes me pretty emotional. The music is absolutely perfect and the Spartan just disappearing and that final angle is beautiful too. My favourite ever Halo 3 montage, although Best Man competes with it.
Whats the best Halo 5 video out right now?

AXXXXIIILLOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you are back? OMGosh

But to answer your question:

Style-wise:

Gameplay-wise:

Damn, did Marksman edit that himself? That was really well done. Loved it.

Hyena's "Double Dragon". His stuff just does it for me. Shout out to DST 2. I miss my posse. thx bxsoulja.

imo Muggsy's beta tage, but I ride him hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za3u7_CvEg

Mmmm j0e makes some sick little tages as well. All against champion level players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1-LjTpacQ

I wish this site would make a Top 100 greatest Halo montages of all time list.
Can we create polls on this site? If so, that would be the way to go. 

Can we create polls on this site? If so, that would be the way to go. 

We can, but that's a terrible idea.

ermahgerd its Axilo :0
ermahgerd its Axilo :0
What happened to kiko mia? she still around? she was bad 

Forum drama I guess.

Forum drama I guess.

She deleted her YT lol, wasnt she a rapper? Anyone know her rapper name

Thanks everybody for the replies, cool videos. Especially Marksmans and Muggsy's video were visually pleasing. Kampy's video had some sick ass gameplay. And also thanks for the mentions in the beginning of this thread, I appreciate it!!

Hyena did this for the top 50, and while it's only his opinion, it's a pretty damn good list :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqQ7TtZuuXU

Noobslayer did one too, which I don't remember much of, but it's also a valid top 50.
Like n00bslayer's version better, cause of the links he provides 

If you're still doing reviews thought id throw this in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNs-1Zfg3Vc

yeah if you still wanna review stuff, ive got one i'd like to get done as well

nvm

Are you talking to me? If so, i won't give it an in-depth critique right now, but i really liked it. Here are some things i liked.

The music was really nice and you made your editing flow with it. The gameplay was really, really good so i appreciate your minimalist editing style so we could take it all in. When you have gameplay like this where it's very stimulating, minimal editing is nice. I'm not upset about the lack of syncing in some areas.

I initially thought the intro was too long, but it's a perfect length in my opinion. It gives us a nice lul at the 1:30 mark which is perfect because we get our crescendo (which begins around 2:55) to the climax (which i think begins at the nice stick at 3:44) right after. You did well using your angle during the lul.

Your music was well picked. Our first song is very hopeful and uplifting, which is perfect for a starting song to get us into the montage. Our second song has a really nice chill start which then builds up to our climax of the song and in turn, our montage.

Neato.

Bumping this thread to post 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6DceZ_EVy0

Just discovered this in a list of old liked videos. It's editing is crazy for its time, and I actually found it more enjoyable than almost any other 10+ minute H3 MLG video. There's some crazy clips and some meh clips, but overall I'd put it higher on the list than ManWithoutModem's. Sorry (not sorry tho)

God damnit you keep posting ones I posted in my extensive list. I've seen at least 5 of the 20 reposted later. :P

It's a great video but it just really annoys me when editors cut through clips like this one. He does that really often throughout the video and it just becomes choppy and hard to watch.  Besides that, the montage is fantastic though. I love the effects, 3D work, colours, and soundtrack. The credits are great too.

On a side note, I think it's weird to say that the editing was insane for its time. Videos like Best Man's M1, ManWithoutModem, Dutchy's M2, and Legacy were released earlier or in the same year as C&C and pretty much all four of those had better editing imo. And when it comes to comparing it to MWM, even though Atiemark's 3D work and effects are fantastic, I think MWM is just overall a more entertaining video but I guess that's just preference.

I feel like this is an incredibly overlooked montage.

Both the gameplay and editing are outstanding throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgU5zvuIUs