Best Montages in the past 5 years?

dang, I'd forgotten all about Quiggy. This was nice to see again. Watching the others after class today.

Oh man, this is a piece of work. The story behind Hwnt is kind of bittersweet when we look back at it, because he left the Halo community to make Minecraft videos, and almost completely deleted his entire history of Halo content in the process (despite it being fucking amazing). For some reason, he just changed his mind about everything he had done and wanted to forget Halo when he made the transition. The surprising part is his Minecraft content actually made him blow up on YouTube; he is somewhat of a YouTube celebrity now. He has since stopped doing Minecraft, but as we speak his channel has nearly 650,000 subscribers. Search "Steven Suptic" if you want to check him out.

Anyway, the video is one of his best. It was a birthday present for a good friend of his, and I really think you'll appreciate the way he makes it work as a single entity with 3 very different songs. I would love to see him make another Halo montage, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

HwnT was a pretty sick Halo 3 player back in the day too. Believe he used to run with Lethul in those times. Still remember showing him how to use Sony Vegas when he first wanted to get into montage making. Then a month later he pushes out some insane video that left me dumbfounded. 

Anyways to contribute: I was on a little montage binge last night and remembered this gem from pTw. It's 6 years old but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWxngVE7RUU

​Another fav. Watch out for the transition near the 5 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdgnGu_xwy8

Pretty sure no one has linked this yet, but this is a must watch gem that still gives me feels with its relaxed yet somewhat depressing soundtrack/edit

I remember watching his first few videos like Oakley's montage and Forever. When he released Initium, I didn't realize it was the same guy lmao. And then he releases Prime later too. His improvement was incredible. Sad that he stopped making videos but any sane person would've done the same thing if given the opportunity so w/e.

Yeah, I just checked out some of his older videos and he had only been around for a couple of months from the start of 2011 until around October when "The Precursor" came out. That was just a short edit, but it looked super technical and advanced. That's some insane progress. 

So did you somehow introduce him to editing?

Oh wow just came across this thread. Some great content and discussion in here. Im loving how detailed valiant's critique is. respect

I was watching some old videos again and came across this. I loved it at the time but I remember it got a lot of flak because of the editing. Always felt it was underrated, the gameplay is really, really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6yXFULdWQ

Yeah, I just checked out some of his older videos and he had only been around for a couple of months from the start of 2011 until around October when "The Precursor" came out. That was just a short edit, but it looked super technical and advanced. That's some insane progress. 

So did you somehow introduce him to editing?

I didn't introduce him to editing I don't think, but he used to ask me for advice on stuff when he first started out. We knew eachother through being tryhard MLG kids at the time. Blew my mind how good he was instantly at it. Guess he had a talent for it with him now making a living doing videos. I think I have a super early render on my other computer that he ended up not using for anything. I'll see if I can find it because it was sick.

Thanks, mate.

uuuuhhmmm

the forum has been doing that to everyone lately. I think they are working on fixing it.

This is one of my most recent favorites in terms of editing not sure if it's been posted yet.

the mickey mouse piano scene kills me, its brilliant

Oh man, this is a piece of work. The story behind Hwnt is kind of bittersweet when we look back at it, because he left the Halo community to make Minecraft videos, and almost completely deleted his entire history of Halo content in the process (despite it being fucking amazing). For some reason, he just changed his mind about everything he had done and wanted to forget Halo when he made the transition. The surprising part is his Minecraft content actually made him blow up on YouTube; he is somewhat of a YouTube celebrity now. He has since stopped doing Minecraft, but as we speak his channel has nearly 650,000 subscribers. Search "Steven Suptic" if you want to check him out.

Anyway, the video is one of his best. It was a birthday present for a good friend of his, and I really think you'll appreciate the way he makes it work as a single entity with 3 very different songs. I would love to see him make another Halo montage, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

HwnT was a pretty sick Halo 3 player back in the day too. Believe he used to run with Lethul in those times. Still remember showing him how to use Sony Vegas when he first wanted to get into montage making. Then a month later he pushes out some insane video that left me dumbfounded. 

Just to add onto the discussion.. I asked him to edit something for me after asking a few times and he said he wouldn't do it but then he later changed his mind.

He made this baby, only reason why he didn't finish it was because something happened to his hard drive. I had gotten his friend Vincent on board to edit it in a dualtage.. his part was also amazing but I lost that render. I could cry. During the editing of guilt, I found out that hwnt lived in the old town I grew up in and subsequently lived in the town neighboring me. That was quite the discovery.

Happens to me everytime i'm on the site.

aaaayyy
Honestly part 3 (Dutchy's) is the best by such a wide margin IMO. This is the video that made me fall in love with LocaL's style. Dutchy gameplay comes out harder than ever I would say

On the topic of hwnt, here is one of my fav scraps by him

Honestly part 3 (Dutchy's) is the best by such a wide margin IMO. This is the video that made me fall in love with LocaL's style. Dutchy gameplay comes out harder than ever I would say

No way dude, part one was the only one he was actually able to put some real time and effort into; by that I'm not saying it's all fucked up, but it is painfully obvious that the rest of the montage was rushed as hell, and he has admitted to it himself. It was a big project to take on, and he was working extremely hard towards the end to get it out in time for the last contest we held. If that was the right thing to do... I don't think so, and the players in the video have expressed themselves on this too. It could have been incredible if he had just let it slip from the contest and instead taken the time to give it the extra touches it needed. 

On the subject of scraps; Zen had a few scraps i saw recently that i thought were cool. I think 3 & 4 were my favorites if i remember correctly.

#1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6

Edit: Maybe i should just post the whole videos.

Wake up wasnt on here yet?! Such a good tage

I found out that hwnt lived in the old town I grew up in and subsequently lived in the town neighboring me. That was quite the discovery.

For the 7 years or so that I've seen you posting on THF I thought you were Scandinavian. I have no idea why and no idea how I didn't realize you weren't.

WTF HE ISN'T? LOL.
Why would you think that?

Dunno if anyone already posted it but this tage is absolutely beast, one of my favorites of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVTRCmf8OK0

Why would you think that?

I don't even know. Something must have given me that idea when I first 'met' him online and it stuck.

WTF HE ISN'T? LOL.

I found out that hwnt lived in the old town I grew up in and subsequently lived in the town neighboring me. That was quite the discovery.

For the 7 years or so that I've seen you posting on THF I thought you were Scandinavian. I have no idea why and no idea how I didn't realize you weren't.

Please explain lol

edit: Did we ever play together on h3 or anything? Because I don't remember.

That was actually ridiculously good. A few problems here and there, but i enjoyed it.

WTF HE ISN'T? LOL.

Please explain lol

edit: Did we ever play together on h3 or anything? Because I don't remember.

nah met as in interacted on the same forum at the same time. 

Maybe it was your whole H2V thing? Seemed like all the Scandinavian peeps on THF used to play that a lot. I don't know. 

TIL

That was actually ridiculously good. A few problems here and there, but i enjoyed it.

:D i know right. The gameplay, the editing, the soundtrack, they all come together to make on hell of a video. I'll keep dropping by here everytime i remember one of my favorites that hasn't been in here.

No way dude, part one was the only one he was actually able to put some real time and effort into; by that I'm not saying it's all fucked up, but it is painfully obvious that the rest of the montage was rushed as hell, and he has admitted to it himself. It was a big project to take on, and he was working extremely hard towards the end to get it out in time for the last contest we held. If that was the right thing to do... I don't think so, and the players in the video have expressed themselves on this too. It could have been incredible if he had just let it slip from the contest and instead taken the time to give it the extra touches it needed. 

Perhaps, but I couldn't get into part 1 because of the music. The edit was really polished and it flowed nicely with the blending of angles but I just couldn't appreciate it fully because the music wasn't my cup of tea. Same with part 2 (cone clip lmao). Part 3 is the only part I've been able to watch again and again probably 12 times now. The first time starting from Biggie's "YO" and diving into that whole angle sequence is one of my favorite intro sequences ever. The syncing is a little predictable but that's hard to avoid with a hip hop soundtrack. It's no exaggeration when I say that Part III of "The Wake Up" literally got me into Biggie (about 20 years late) and rekindled my love for old school rap. I do feel it could've benefited from a bit more polish, maybe some subtle effects or color changes, but on the whole Dutchy's GP with LocaL's edit to "Going Back to Cali" is one of the most rewatchable 3 minute segments of my life.

Edit: But yeah, probably should've delayed and spent the extra time on the whole video. Did it even win anything for the 2014 contest?

i agree with that the intro angle segment of dutchy's part is fire, but i had trouble watching his part because of the music.  I thought it was, and maybe the editing had to do with that as well, really predictable and repetitive. It is funny how preferences work like that and can be of such importance, because i for one though part 1 was great (also because of the music).  
Yeah, the intro sequence was the best part.

Well, just watched The Wake Up. I stopped watching half way through Stobs' part. Just gonna copy and paste my comment from YT and add more to it:

Just watched this for the first time. The gameplay was great, as expected. I loved a lot of the clips in Piano's part. The effects were good and your angles are really smooth and well done as well. I liked the overall structure of the video too. Soundtrack was great mainly due to the fact that The Dear Hunter is my favourite band ever lol. Not a huge fan of hip-hop/rap but Biggie is okay.

To be completely honest though, I really couldn't enjoy the video because of the editing. First of all, and this really bothered my in the first song, the angles seemed too fast and aggressive for the speed or mood of the song. These kind of angles work with certain songs but not others. Furthermore, the cuts and angles were extremely excessive and killed the flow of the montage, especially with the slow songs, and made it hard to appreciate a lot of the clips. I often can't follow the clips or just lose interest because they're dragged out too long. It reminds me a lot of Mad Max's editing but at least that style of editing worked with the fast paced music he typically used (Chiodos, Manafest, Celldweller, etc.).

All these angles also make you extremely lazy with your clip placement. For example, at 3:40, that clip clearly does not fit the sync points you're trying to land so, instead of looking for a clip that hits them naturally, you just force the kills to sync with tons of angles. Look at videos like the Str8tage, Best Man's M1, Neighbor + Hysteria's dual, etc. and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This sequence right here just sums up why I couldn't stand this montage: https://streamable.com/ifct

I don't mean to be harsh or rude. You clearly put a ridiculous amount of effort into the video and I definitely commend you for that but it just didn't work for me :/

You can tell by the added effects in the start of the first song that that's what it was all supposed to be like in the end, but he just didn't have (or give) the time needed to do it. There's a very clear point where the effects stop, and the gameplay and angles become everything that the video is comprised of visually.

Found this guy on youtube the other day. He has 4 of these montages and they are all so sick. Gameplay is wicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1-LjTpacQ