Diesel Montage 2 :: A Halo: Reach Video

Original thread on H2F probably ran its course, but I'll post this just in case there are any stragglers wanting to comment. I like comments :)

Download

Hi all, very proud to present my second Halo: Reach montage. I spent a lot of time on it, the gameplay especially, so I really hope you guys like it.Wear headphones! Here are some ramblings :

I went through a couple editors on this project, but they didn't work out, so I decided to just go for it and edit this myself. This is my first real edit, and I'm mostly happy with the results. It's definitely not perfect, especially from a technical standpoint, but I spent a lot of focus placing the clips and trying to create a unique, enjoyable experience. I went for an old school feel, which I felt matched the gameplay in many ways and is something that I always go back to with montages. I used trance, which I love and have always felt is underrepresented in montages. I'm not sure it's the most popular choice, but hopefully you guys can get into it.

I speak about the editing first, but this is definitely a gameplay-focused montage. For me, gameplay is the most important part of a montage, and this video is pretty much predicated on the gameplay being enjoyable. In that vein, I really try to appeal to everyone, old and new, with the clips and keep things interesting. I think I've succeeded in that, and I hope you agree. I had some pretty lofty goals for the quality of the gameplay, so you guys will have to let me know if I reached them. All of the clips are 4v4 (or 3v3), with the obvious exceptions of BTB and Invasion, plus one Multi-Team clip.

Last, I'd like to give a big thank you to gamechallenged for being a sport and capping all the first-person clips, which I very much appreciate.

so fucking good Diesel. I honestly think this was probably the best montage in the competition so it's a damn shame it didn't make it to the finals because I definitely would have voted for it. Agh so good man....
I just watched this for the first time, and it's actually the first Reach montage I have ever fully watched. As much as I hate that game, I appreciated the greatness of the video and you did some really insane stuff. Kudos on a masterpiece.

Don't think I ever had the chance to comment on the old site so I'll post here.

You really change the way I see this game. Before you had released this I had gone back and watched your M1 and hopped on Reach for the first time in years. You have a really clean and steady snipe but the bloom just always threw me off and I couldn't adjust to it for some reason. 

Those sticks are incredible. I  wasn't disappointed with any of the clips.

Such an awesome vid.

Your clips are always so unique, man, especially the nade launches and straight ups. Definitely one of my favorite Halo: Reach montages of 2015.

Thanks YBLOC and Spence. Appreciate the reviews :)

I just watched this for the first time, and it's actually the first Reach montage I have ever fully watched. As much as I hate that game, I appreciated the greatness of the video and you did some really insane stuff. Kudos on a masterpiece.

Awesome to see a review from you, Andrew. Was not expecting one this good, knowing your disdain for Reach. I appreciate it, means a lot.

Don't think I ever had the chance to comment on the old site so I'll post here.

You really change the way I see this game. Before you had released this I had gone back and watched your M1 and hopped on Reach for the first time in years. You have a really clean and steady snipe but the bloom just always threw me off and I couldn't adjust to it for some reason. 

Those sticks are incredible. I  wasn't disappointed with any of the clips.

Thanks man. There's a lot of opportunity in Reach if you have the creativity and, more importantly, patience to take advantage of it. I always try to show that in my montages - glad to see people appreciate it. :)

P.S. There's no actual bloom on the sniper (i.e. it has no effect). But obviously it make the DMR, etc. a bitch to use. I just keep the power weapons to avoid it yes

One of of my top 5 of this comp for sure, great video. I did a write up on whats so special about it somewhere.. that.
I'm not a fan of Halo: Reach but this montage is fucking awesome. From the launches to no scope jaros, this 'tage has it all. Very enjoyable watch.

I usually never watch Reach videos, but man, this was awesome. Definitely in my top ten list for favorite Halo videos. 

The stuff you did was just incredible, all those sticks were crazy, those no scopes leading into high multis, everything you did was crazy... Just wow. Great video man. Terrific job on this. 

Going to copy/paste what I had to say on the old site.

I'm not typically impressed by Reach gameplay. I was blown away by this stuff. I genuinely had my mouth agape thinking "how the hell did he do that?" at least three or four times. Great job.

I still believe that this should have absolutely made it to the finals. 

Alright, guys, need a little help from you all. I want to get this video to a whopping 1,000 (one THOUsand) YouTube views. It currently sits at a paltry 823 views. I make my montages for you guys at THF, not for YouTube. That said, less than 1,000 views is pathetic no matter how you slice it. I think this video deserves to be seen by a few more people, so I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to "share" or like this video. Thanks, people! (God I hope Kampy is reading this right now.)

OT: Thanks for the reviews, Tommy, Muhzzy, and Dante. Much appreciated, fellas. This is something I've said many times, but I always try to get clips that appeal to everyone, keep a strong variety of maps, etc. Basically just make my gameplay immune to any Reach bias that exists. Always nice to get the "I normally don't like Reach, but..." reviews as validation :)

Muhzzy tweet this out again this video absolutely needs >1000 views!

Diesel my man,

I just wanted to tell you how fucking amazing this video is. You did such a good job on just showing the beautiful gameplay. This is by far one of the best reach tages ever made. This had it all. Incredibly well done. And also, I absolutely had a blast playing Reach with you. 

Thanks for the bump.

This video is so dam good. So many jaw dropping plays

The praise can't be overstated! Those clips still make my jaw drop to this day, and I love the sort of vibe you were able to bring about as the video progressed. A truly revolutionary video for reach, no doubt about it