Hi, I'm a complete noob. Am I ruining Halo for you guys by even attempting to play it?

Hi, I'm Jordan.  First off, this is a serious question.  I'm not a troll.  As a sign of good faith, I have made a donation to this site just to try to ease your suspicion.  I thought maybe it would be possible to have a discussion about this topic.

I never played any Halo game for the 360.  Attempting to play this is nearly impossible for someone like me because just about everyone that has stuck with this game is a vetran of the series it seems.  Am I ruining what little there is left of this game for you guys by trying to play it?   Seriously, be honest.  I want to hear your opinion.   I am starting to see that this isn't CoD where it doesn't matter of someone on your team sucks.  Having me on your team is almost a guaranteed loss...you can just about mark it down as soon as the match starts. 

Is it too late?  Should I give up?  Imagine your first game ever of Halo 3...except everyone in the lobby is rank 50...everyone on your team is pissed off because you suck, but also everyone on the enemy team is pissed off at you as well because killing you is too easy.  You see what I'm getting at?

First off, welcome to the site. I sent you a private message a few minutes ago thanking you for your donation, but I'll say it again publicly. Seriously, you did not have to do that, but it is very much appreciated.

To answer your question, you're absolutely not ruining the game for anyone, nor should that really even be a concern for you. What matters is if you have fun playing it, and if you do, you'll get better over time. That is what social, non-ranked playlists are for. And if you're really concerned about not being a hindrance to your team, then there's always the opportunity to ask veteran players what it is you should work on or what it is that is important in being able to help your team win. Sometimes you don't have to have the best shot or get the most kills to really help your team. Learning how to run a flag, sneak a bomb in, or simply stay alive while in a hill can be all it takes to get a win.

So overall, I'd first say don't sweat being bad, we all start somewhere. Second, don't worry about hindering other people's experiences, and just have fun playing. You'll get better in time.

Welcome to THF man!

Hi, I'm Jordan.  First off, this is a serious question.  I'm not a troll.  As a sign of good faith, I have made a donation to this site just to try to ease your suspicion.  I thought maybe it would be possible to have a discussion about this topic.

I never played any Halo game for the 360.  Attempting to play this is nearly impossible for someone like me because just about everyone that has stuck with this game is a vetran of the series it seems.  Am I ruining what little there is left of this game for you guys by trying to play it?   Seriously, be honest.  I want to hear your opinion.   I am starting to see that this isn't CoD where it doesn't matter of someone on your team sucks.  Having me on your team is almost a guaranteed loss...you can just about mark it down as soon as the match starts. 

Is it too late?  Should I give up?  Imagine your first game ever of Halo 3...except everyone in the lobby is rank 50...everyone on your team is pissed off because you suck, but also everyone on the enemy team is pissed off at you as well because killing you is too easy.  You see what I'm getting at?

Definitely not going to sit here and deny that as a veteran Halo player that having new guys on your team is much fun, but the fact is that this isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel bad. This is 343's failure to implement a working ranking system to even out the playing field. I say keep gaming, keep improving, and don't worry about it.

I obviously prefer to search with people in my own skill gap, i think everyone should have the opportunity to play with people of similar skill and enjoy the game as it was meant to be. I know it's not very fun to be in your position. It's 343's fault: As a developer they're responsible for fostering an environment that makes all players feel comfortable. There are no barriers, ranks, true skill or anything that promote healthy competition on par with another players skill gap. It's a literal case of "don't hate the player, hate the game". Do you, as long as it's not in team hardcore lol.

Thanks for the replies, all.  I will keep at it.  I suppose that at least I'm a body in the playlist count and that's better than nothing, haha. 

Tobes, I see you're from MI as well.  I'm from the Flint area. 

Jorday, everyone starts somewhere. Don't let that feeling of being behind close the door on the game for you. Although you're not getting the original experience, I do imagine you will find yourself having fun once you get into the groove of things. Please don't let other peoples' opinions of your skill deter you from trying to get better. 

As long as you aren't quitting out of every match you're fine in my book. As everyone before me has said, we all start somewhere. Keep at it and the repetition alone should improve your play.

As long as you aren't quitting out of every match you're fine in my book.

This.

This.

Fucking THIS.

Also, sup Michigander, Sterling Heights here.

Thanks for the replies, all.  I will keep at it.  I suppose that at least I'm a body in the playlist count and that's better than nothing, haha. 

Tobes, I see you're from MI as well.  I'm from the Flint area. 

West MI here! Grand Haven if you know where that is.

Cursed Lemon, 
lol I will avoid the rage quit.  :)

Tobes,

Yup, I've actually been to Grand Haven a couple of times.  :)

As others have said it is 343's fault, not yours. It's now been 5 months since release and they've yet to implement a legitimate ranking system to match players according to their skill level. 

As others have said it is 343's fault, not yours. It's now been 5 months since release and they've yet to implement a legitimate ranking system to match players according to their skill level. 

Is it because the playlist numbers are too low to implement a rank system?   Could it be the playlist numbers are low enough that it's all they can do just to fill a lobby in a reasonable amount of time with players of any skill level? 

You damn trolls. Get on the yooper status.

Is it because the playlist numbers are too low to implement a rank system?   Could it be the playlist numbers are low enough that it's all they can do just to fill a lobby in a reasonable amount of time with players of any skill level? 

i don't think the playlist levels are too low, they just haven't done anything about it yet. Although at the rate they are going the amount of people playing isn't going to get any better.

The matchmaking setup for Halo MCC is not good at all right now and it frustrates both elite and new players. The game needs to be updated so that every playlist has a ranking system. If you suck then you will stay at level 5 and play other people at level 5. If you rock you will get up to level 40 and play other decent players.

I actually don't mind if my opponents quit out of a 2v2 when the teams are unbalanced - as long as they BOTH quit. You won't get any better trying to win 1 versus 2.

most people here like it if you're garbage so they can montage you easier

The game needs to be updated so that every playlist has a ranking system. If you suck then you will stay at level 5 and play other people at level 5. If you rock you will get up to level 40 and play other decent players.

It doesn't work that way. Ever ranked playlist, no matter how much you play or suck at it, your level will eventually go up--experience ensures that you progress one way or another.  Not to mention, anybody could be behind that controller. With Nubtages and Dancetages fucking up the matchmaking system, combined with complete anonymity and infinite profiles, you could be matched up with Strongside, a 6 month old infant, a real life magician and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

Jorday: Son, listen. It's gonna be hard, no doubt about it. You are--as they've said--perfect montage bait. But there's nothing wrong with starting now. Avoid ranked/team games and go for Rumble Pit. If you have any, invite some Halo friends over to help assist you in a game. Report cheaters. Hell, report everybody. It won't do a goddamn thing, but at least it makes you feel good.  Practice sportsmanship. Give assholes a foot they can swallow. Try some Fiesta, so you can be strong with ANY weapon. Test sensitivities and control schemes; see which one works for you! Just because Bumper Jumper is the most popular scheme, it doesn't mean it has to be yours.  Play casual, play hardcore, play customs! When you keep it mixed up, you'll keep it fun.

Thanks for the responses guys.  I lol'd at the montage bait. 

Maybe I'll making noobtage videos and start a new revolution on youtube lol. 

It doesn't work that way. Ever ranked playlist, no matter how much you play or suck at it, your level will eventually go up--experience ensures that you progress one way or another.  Not to mention, anybody could be behind that controller. With Nubtages and Dancetages fucking up the matchmaking system, combined with complete anonymity and infinite profiles, you could be matched up with Strongside, a 6 month old infant, a real life magician and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

I didn't realize the rankings were experience based. I have not played matchmaking since 2006ish and when I did I remember being able to rank up and rank down. That sucks that they changed it so that the bad players can still rise up.

So the only way to get matched against players of your skill level to set up games manually...? lame.

hi, welcome to the forum.

i lolled reading your OP, in fact your right. i always shout at my TV when i have noobs in my team especcially when they do something wrong.
but like someone said before, this is not your fault.. 

but everyone started as a noob. since i grew up with halo 3, i totally suck at halo 2.. 

if you want add me : Siick fl0w      ( zero ) 

we can play some 1v1 customs and i will teach you some basics which helps you improve your gamestyle.

hi, welcome to the forum.

i lolled reading your OP, in fact youre right. i always shout at my TV when i have noobs in my team especcially when they do something wrong.
but like someone said before, this is not your fault.. 

but everyone started as a noob. since i grew up with halo 3, i totally suck at halo 2.. 

if you want add me : Siick fl0w      ( zero ) 

we can play some 1v1 customs and i will teach you some basics which helps you improve your gamestyle.

Wow, that would be fun to play some custom games, and I could definitely use some help lol.  I have been playing the campaign a lot lately because I have a blast playing the campaign mode.  Especially halo 3.  I was playing the tsavo highway mission trying to do the challenge where you cant enter or board any vehicles for the entire mission, and there were enemies zooming around trying to run me over and I was jumping trying to stick their vehicles or melee the driver. 
So the only way to get matched against players of your skill level to set up games manually...? lame.

The worst part? Even then, it's impossible. Skill is relative. People have on and off days, regardless of a leaderboard position, too. There's no real way to measure skill on a consistent basis.

It reminds me of fighting games--you can spend years practicing every single combo, counter, hit list, and every possible strength/weakness of every character, and you'll still have trouble beating the noob just smashing buttons.

It reminds me of fighting games--you can spend years practicing every single combo, counter, hit list, and every possible strength/weakness of every character, and you'll still have trouble beating the noob just smashing buttons.

I see what you're trying to say, but this is not the case at all for fighting games.

I see what you're trying to say, but this is not the case at all for fighting games.

agreed. or any game really.

what i dont understand is how the h2 ranking as spot on as they come and the developers were never able to hit that mark again.

The key factor here is that Halo is played differently than other console FPS. With games like CoD, Battlefield, etc. you're used to "Run-and-Gun," "Spray-and-Pray" type gameplay where in Halo, the game is much more a mental game.

I've always said, "Where Call of Duty is checkers, Halo is chess."

If you begin to see it like that, you'll begin to improve your own play style because then it becomes a challenge of outsmarting another person. At the highest level of gameplay, you try to know what the opponent is going to do before they know what they're going to do. 

But never should you ever feel like you're ruining the game for yourself, for us, or for anyone else. Like stated a million times before me, the issue is with 343i not being able to replicate a working ranking system that literally came out 10 years ago on 2 consoles previous. However, I'm sure that by now, there aren't very many people playing MCC and that doesn't really help the problem at all.

Countless hours of playing and learning how Halo works is the best way to get better. You have to earn your bragging rights.
I wish you the best of luck and if you ever see me on, I'll be happy to play with you. GT: XiL Destruction