Pokemon Thread

chat about it here. Just got pokemon Y for my birthday, picked fennekin as my starter then picked charmander as well because I am an idiot and love fire type pokemon. so whats the haps with this game? whatre the good HM slaves what's a good party? I haven't played anything past ruby and sapphire in a long long time so I know none of these pokemon really. help a brotha out
Mutha fucka! You need to go back to that mindset of when you were a little kid playing Red & Blue. Don't look shit up, just explore the game, let everything come to you. Figure everything out for yourself, that's what keeps the new games fresh and fun to me. Just make your own adventure. Only looks up move sets when you're about to fight the Elite Four so you can have tournament rape moves, and only use master balls on shiny Pokemon. X & Y were cool, I like all the Pokemon games though. Mega Evolutions are tight.

When I met my gf she had never played a handheld console game before, so for her 18th birthday I bought her a 3DS and gave her my Pokémon X copy. Now she's even more into it than me. She completed Omega Ruby in the first two weeks, and I'm still not done with Alpha Sapphire myself.

I actually just recently purchased a GBA SP from Japan, along with Pokémon Blue, Silver and Sapphire (all japanese, but still cool to have). The package should be shipping soon, and I can't wait to finally have a game from every generation. 

This thread has inspired me to get a DS and a couple of Pokemon games.  I think I'm gonna get Soul Silver and Omega ruby.  Is there a special NDS I need to play these games or will any old one do?

This thread has inspired me to get a DS and a couple of Pokemon games.  I think I'm gonna get Soul Silver and Omega ruby.  Is there a special NDS I need to play these games or will any old one do?

You need a regular DS for Soul Silver (I have Heart Gold, might be my favorite Pokemon game other than the originals) and you need a 3DS or 2DS for Omega Ruby. If I were you, I'd get a 3DS.  

So if I get a 3DS, I'll be able to play all the newer Pokemon games?
Correct. The new games being X & Y and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. 3DS can also play regular DS games.
Coming from someone who has a 3DS XL and a 2DS, get the 2DS. It's super comfortable in your hands, and I'm actually debating selling my 3DS while it's still worth something because I simply don't use it anymore. Unless you get the newer, more expensive 3DS, you won't get anything out of the 3D feature. It's in shambles, and the only thing you're losing with buying a 2DS is not being able to flip it shut. It should be a lot cheaper too, which is why I bought it in the first place. (I literally got it for dirt, and bought two while I was at it. I'm keeping one sealed until it's sought after as a collectors item.)
That is a good point. I've never played a 2DS but I've heard they are great and a much better price. I'm glad you said 3DS XL because that's the one I have (I forget they have a regular sized one). It's all a matter of personal preference and price. If you want a cheaper system that does pretty much the same thing without any lil cool 3D features, get the 2DS. If you want a more expensive system that has slightly more features and 3D abilities get the 3DS XL.
I was legitimately surprised with how much I actually enjoyed holding it and using it. As I said, I already had a 3DS XL when I bought my 2DS, so there was no real need for me to get one. I was just curious about it and found a local sale that almost gave them away (especially considering you get a charger in the box with it, something my 3DS XL didn't. I had to purchase it separately), so there was nothing holding me back from picking them up.

It feels so great in my hands, and it's the perfect size for me. Their cases are made of the same type of hard plastic the original Gameboys and Gameboy Advances were made of, and it feels more like a modern Gameboy than any other DS console ever did.
Wait, so the 2DS doesn't fold?  that seems kinda weird.  
Your sig is fucking sick!

I know it seems weird at first, but the shape of it is kinda like an axe head; it narrows down towards the bottom, and the sides are slightly concave to fit your fingers. Think about it like a Gameboy Color. It's about the same size top to bottom, except it's a bit wider side to side to fit todays need for bigger screens. 

You can purchase a carrying case for it, or get screen protectors like for your smartphone if you're worried about it getting damaged or scratching the screens. In reality it's actually sturdier and built to last longer than all of the folding DSs. I can feel the hinges on my original DS collapsing after 10 years, and I think this 2DS should outlive any 3DS by a long time. It was actually produced to cater to a younger audience (the lower price, cheaper but harder plastic casing, no fold), and kids aren't exactly known to take the best care of their toys.

finished gold with: Feraligatr,  Espeon, Piloswine, Heracross, Noctowl and Houndoom.  always try to pick the pokemon of different types, but still having in mind who i'd think are cool to have if pokemon would have been real, not picking the strongest ones per se. Also, which of the newer pokemon games are most fun (everything after emerald)? need to try to get that on my phone next

always thought pokemon snap was underrated. wish i could still play that like right now

finished gold with: Feraligatr,  Espeon, Piloswine, Heracross, Noctowl and Houndoom.  always try to pick the pokemon of different types, but still having in mind who i'd think are cool to have if pokemon would have been real, not picking the strongest ones per se. Also, which of the newer pokemon games are most fun (everything after emerald)? need to try to get that on my phone next

Im playing pokemon Y right now, its pretty fun but not the most fun ive ever had playing pokemon. Omega ruby is probably my favorite pokemon game now (only because ruby was my favorite pokemon game before, i love gen 3 so much). I think platinum was pretty fun, never played black or white or black 2 or white 2. 

would link to a ROM but idk the site's rules anymore.  theyre pretty easy to find tho.

also i suppose i could contribute to this thread if anybody wants recommendations for Pokemon ROM hacks, i've played quite a few in passing. top recommendations that you should play right now if you haven't: Ash Gray, Dark Rising, & Prism.

Other Good Ones: Pokemon Armageddon, Pokemon Brown, Ash Quest, Pokemon Snakewood, and Pokemon Light Platinum.

just caught yveltal! right now in my party is delphox, charizard, bibarel for hm slave, talonflame for fly, blastoise and i just traded out tyrantrum for yveltal.  I chose the jaw fossil and leveled up tyrunt and evolved to tyrantrum and lvled up to 54 before storing him for yveltal. I have blastoise in my party because ive been trading on the random pokemon i catch on the gts for the starter pokemon cant get. so i got squirtle, trained him into blastoise, ive got froakie trained up to greninja, chespin trained up to whichever one it's last evolution is, and bulbsaaur trained up to venusaur.  I don't plan on trading for anything I can't catch on my own because I'm one of those nerds who actually goes out and tries to cath 'em all....

"Pokemon pinball and that bullshit" 

lold

So I think I'm gonna get the 3DS XL just because I want to be able to fold the device.  Are Pokemon Black/White 1 & 2, as well as 'X' and 'Y' worth getting?
I wasn't a huge fan of the Black/White series, but everything else in the main Pokémon series is a great investment.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Black/White series, but everything else in the main Pokémon series is a great investment.

I think I'll just start off with Soul Silver and Omega Ruby and see where I'll go from there.  The Last PKMN game I played was Platinum, I think a lot has changed since then.  Lol

I have Heart Gold myself, love it. My favorite feature is that you can toggle sprinting, so you don't have to constantly hold down the B button to run like in every single other Pokémon game.
So I got a rather special package in the mail today, sent all the way from Japan.

http://i.imgur.com/BIrPyGn.jpg

This purchase pleases my inner child.

Holy shit that's cool. Dat Japanese Blue version hhhnnnnnnngggggg
Unfortunately it's also the hardest one to play, because there are no color or damage indicators on moves and Pokés, and a lot of attacks look the same, so I will be desperately clutching onto a guide while I'm playing it lmao. It's still just really awesome to have, and considering I bought it all in a fairly big bulk, it was a steal.

Fucking a man, that's sick. I always thought japanese cards looked so goddamn good. The art styles always seemed so much better than the english versions.

I buy cards onc every couple years. Would love to buy some booster packs but not interested in spending $10+ for one pack.

btw Giovanni cards are my favorite cards. Giovanni's Nidoking is my all time fav

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/261/IMG_0605.jpg

Yeah, I paid 3.2$ per pack in the auctions I won. Fucking crazy deal for 15 year old packs.

I'll post some pictures of what I pulled later, my gf pushed me into opening every single pack in the last sitting, even though my original plan was to keep some sealed lol.
I need to get an old DS and get Pearl again. Loved that game. 
TIP: Be an asshole like me, get a 3ds or 2ds, then get a r4 card...then play whatever you want...for...free.....heehe
holy shit. if there is one feeling i'd really want again from back in the days, it would be the excitement of opening such a pack cards. that was legit
All 20 opened.

10/10 experience, would waste money again.

But did ya'll have the only card that ever mattered?

I have this, does it count?

http://i.imgur.com/RK05kp5.jpg