Super Smash Brothers Thread: 64, Melee, Brawl, & Smash 4 (Casual and Competitive Discussion)

for the record he didnt play particularly well with Leffen lol. that nair train tho.

WTFox going on here, Top 32 is finishing up and Top 16 will be tonight after a short break. 

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Bracket

WTFox results:

what'd you think of mango and armada at WTF, Alen?

oh my god I played the best I've ever played at a tournament today. I beat 3 people I've never been able to beat to get 2nd place when I surely would've gotten 5th any other day. as soon as the sets get uploaded i'll post them here. I was incredibly proud of how i played today, cant wait to show you guys.

also Leffen is looking fucking unstoppable lately. He is truly showing just how good fox can be with his godlike neutral and fundamentals 

oh my god I played the best I've ever played at a tournament today. I beat 3 people I've never been able to beat to get 2nd place when I surely would've gotten 5th any other day. as soon as the sets get uploaded i'll post them here. I was incredibly proud of how i played today, cant wait to show you guys.

also Leffen is looking fucking unstoppable lately. He is truly showing just how good fox can be with his godlike neutral and fundamentals 

congrats man! i cant wait to see those sets.

Leffen has been playing amazing yes, but i think it says something that Mango will be playing most of this week off-stream. i was watching Ken's stream a week ago and he was taking about WTFox and how Mango may not "show all of his cards" right before Evo. While this is kinda dumb to say in such a competitive feel I also think we will never see a more try-hard Mango than this weekend. 

3EVO TIME!!!

Mango definitely has moments throughout the tournament where he looks unstoppable.
Armada is still very consistent - in the Armada/Mango matchup, game one is very important for the set.

I also have to mention that Mew2King played well during WTFox.
I remember M2K saying that Mango has the highest peak out of all the top players (not sure if someone said it in this thread lol), but it's so true. There are moments where he truly looks unstoppable. 
those moments seem to be fleeting as of late, as leffen and others have caught up to his raw skill. i'd argue that the very top players' greater use of great shield drops and consistently good options oos are an area where mango is lagging behind but then you have players like Westballz who cannot seem to break the Top 4 and struggles as a whole at large majors. 
I can't wait for this weekend.  Don't have to work or anything.  My roommate and I will have two screens up; one for Marvel, one for Melee.

here's those sets. they're both very close sets so theyre a good watch. :) i had never beaten ragnarok before and i have been having trouble with Mikey for over a year because wobbling is gay as fuck but i finally beat him. double eliminated him

just watched the 2nd set and wow that was great. you each had some silly SDs but overall it was super close and you both played well.

a few things i noticed: shines were fucking on point for the most part, DI was very good but i noticed a couple SDIs of yours that you maybe could have survived, lasers could use some work in the neutral (sometimes you were giving him free approaches with your double lasering), had a few opportunities for chaingrabs that i would have loved to see, edgegaurding was pretty good for the most part, most of all i would definitely vary your recoveries a little more as you seemed to almost always firefox landing onto stage (had a quite a few opportunities for full side-b recovery into edge for a punish instead of staying out in firefox). 

overall i see so much potential man, there are just a few things i think you should incorporate into your game more (more varied recoveries, chaingrabs, further spaced lasers, upmash OOS). in fact, i'd recommend watching your set with ragnorok again and place yourself in his shoes instead of yourself, he was trying to catch you with some OOS upsmashes that could have been timed just a bit better. 

take it all with a grain of salt, you would most likely destroy me right now, just wanted to give you some perspective on what i saw. 

i'm always open for criticism man, in fact i love it because i'm always striving to get better.

one of the bigger problems of being a fox main is nerves, you can clearly tell there were points i wanted to Shine/upsmash OOS (which i'm very proficient at), but my hands were literally shaking by game 5 so there were a lot of technical flubs. another thing i'm really bad at is going into auto-pilot. Fox literally has SO many good options that sometimes its hard to pick the best decision really quick especially in something wonky like fox dittos.

i did notice my recovery was lacking, and i'm working on SDI a lot. I know how it works and I can SDI simple things like fox up air but being able to SDI multi hit moves like his dair is something i need to work on a lot.

but dude i appreciate you taking the time to watch and critique them. sometimes it's best to get a separate point of view to truly understand whats going on

So is the entirety of the Top 8 gonna be played on Sunday, or will they play some Top 8 matches on Saturday?

top 8 is 1-4 on Sunday. Pools and Quarters are today. The tournament has multiple stages so i'm not exactly sure on how the bracket works.

p.s. im watching at your house on sunday Souljah btw, i live in Boulder. 

j/k

Lol, I do have an HD projector.
ill be too hung over from Slide the City to make moves honestly lol. you coming out for that shit tomorrow?
Nah I just got surgery 2 weeks ago.  I can't walk.

feel better man.

notable upsets from yesterday:  darkrain eliminates wizzy, westballz loses to Ken (double 3-stock), Amsa loses to Light, Eddy Mexico beats the Moon for Top 32.

Top 32 Bracket

Thanks, I should be able to put weight on it in early September.

Those are some crazy upsets.  I like to watch Moon a lot because he's such a solid Marth player.

Shroomed eliminated by Santiago in losers bracket.

He just got picked up by Winterfox too.  That sucks.

Top eight:

Winners - Armada, Hungrybox, Plup, PPMD
Losers - Axe, ChuDat, Leffen, Mango
I'm really glad to see PPMD in the top 8. Unfortunate that Ken, Moon, Shroomed, and PPU didnt make the cut. Did M2K or Aizen compete?

Azen beat Fly but didn't do much else otherwise. M2K didn't go.

edit: Azen tied for 33rd, got 5th in doubles with Chillin.

Plup just upset  Leffen.  He got 5th.
Armada.
EVO results:

lol hbox
Was pulling for Leffen, but I'm happy that Armada won.  Would have been kinda salty if Hbox won. 

205k peak for melee, the highest out of any game at evo. not  bad for a decade old game.

edit: SF capped out at around 211k+ by the end of the night

Recently discovered this video.  Thought is was pretty informative.

https://youtu.be/oJrEhy4ya74

zhu's dustless dash dance is barf

https://youtu.be/58o92oz3v9w?t=32s

Going to my first local tournament on the 29th with my roommate.  Can't wait to get stomped.

Ahhhh I remember my first tournament. Wife said it best in the documentary.  "It was like turning on a light"