The Many Travels of GH

Reviving this thread from the old forum.

So here's a few answers to some common questions. Ask away if you have more.

• I work for an airline. I can fly for free domestically, and only pay taxes internationally.
  • It's all standby, so I only get on the plane if there's seats open. Makes for some stressful situations occasionally.
  • I'm eligible for First/Business Class if it's open. I plan my trips well enough to get Business internationally the majority of the time.
  • My trips are short. Like, really short. One night for most cities, including traveling to Europe. You may think it's crazy, but you can see a ton in 24 hours.

My flight map year to date:

My most recent trip was 24 hours in Venice. My 2nd time in Italy, and first time in Venice. I was absolutely, 100% blown away. New favorite destination.

Also up there with one of my favorite pictures I've ever taken.

Heading to Australia for the 3rd time at the end of this month. Going with a friend who hasn't been before, so we're doing a night in Sydney and two nights along the Great Ocean Road south of Melbourne.

homie you need to be seeing more of Asia. 

http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/2.derive.htm

looks like you might find this interesting. what you're doing sounds pretty exciting

What do you do at the airline?

Also, are you worried about radiation exposure overtime?

Venice is truly amazing. Sounds like a good deal you got through the airline. In the long run I think I would've gotten sick of traveling if the trips were 50/50 on/off flight tho. 

I've been to Venice before, was a shithole when I went. People hated tourist just as much as Paris and everything looked like it was going to fall apart if I touched it. I spent a week there and I was happy to get on my flight to Rome afterwards. 

That's just the island with the canals I'm talking about. Being on the mainland was better since that was where our hotel was. 

Hit up Athens or Rome if you get the chance.

homie you need to be seeing more of Asia. 

Yeah I've only done Tokyo. Likely doing Thailand in a couple weeks...as Australia doesn't look too good now. A night in Bangkok, and then 3 nights in and around the Krabi area. Not sure exactly where yet.

What do you do at the airline?

Also, are you worried about radiation exposure overtime?

I am in Reservations. Taking calls from people buying tickets, rescheduling, etc. Also work with the training team, primarily new hire classes. Hoping to do that full time in the next couple years as I really enjoy teaching.

The amount of radiation isn't a concern, though it is tangible. I spent 358 hours in the air last year, or just over 2 weeks.

That's ROUGHLY equivalent to between 1 and 3.5 mSv (depending on the flights. Polar flights are exposed to more radiation).

A typical person is exposed to roughly 4 mSv a year from normal background radiation.

For comparison, a head CT scan is equivalent to about 2 mSv, and US Nuclear Plant workers are exposed to 50 mSv a year, and it takes 100 mSv in a calendar year to show a clear increase in cancer risk.

Venice is truly amazing. Sounds like a good deal you got through the airline. In the long run I think I would've gotten sick of traveling if the trips were 50/50 on/off flight tho. 

Eh, you get used to it. Short trips used to sound insane to me, but they've really grown on me. Some destinations I definitely want to go back and spend more time in though. But I'll take 24 hours on the ground in Euorope over no time at all, that's for sure.

I've been to Venice before, was a shithole when I went. People hated tourist just as much as Paris and everything looked like it was going to fall apart if I touched it. I spent a week there and I was happy to get on my flight to Rome afterwards. 

That's just the island with the canals I'm talking about. Being on the mainland was better since that was where our hotel was. 

Hit up Athens or Rome if you get the chance.

I've done Rome, and it was my favorite city until Venice.  Athens is very high on my list. Rhodes and Thessaloniki too.

Florence and Sienna are the most beautiful and fun to be in cities in Italy imo, Rome is Rome tho.. you have to see it. 
Yeah Rome was unreal. Did 2 nights there. 2nd day was mostly spent at the Vatican.
G.H making moves, huh. Yeah its just about cold everywhere in Aus this time of year except perth and the NT. You should consider Bali if you haven't been, its generally good year-round, cheap too.

Leaving for Thailand in just a few hours! Bringing a friend along on a discounted, standby ticket.

We arrive into BKK at around 11 pm. Likely not doing anything of consequence there, just crashing.

Then on Sunday we fly to Phuket (confirmed tickets only $50), and spend 4 full days and 3 nights there. For once, a vacation of mine will actually involve some relaxing on a beach, and in one destination.

The original plan was to return back the way we came, but there's only one flight a day we could catch from Bangkok to Tokyo, and it looks pretty horrible. So we decided to buy one way confirmed tickets out of Phuket, via Kuala Lumpur back to Tokyo. Money I really didn't want to spend, though even one extra night in a hotel and the money evens out basically. It's on Air Asia, so it won't be terribly comfortable, but I'm excited because we have 14 hours in KUL, and I can cross a new country and city off.

Plenty of pictures coming, I'm sure.

Just one of several photos I'll be posting from my Thailand trip.

This was from Maya Bay on Phi Phi Ley, made famous by The Beach and a whole bunch of other movies.

Took a speedboat tour of several islands today. Incredible experience...first time snorkeling was quite memorable.

LONG time since posting here...

Been on some awesome trips since I last posted...but let's talk the current one.

I've been lucky enough to get selected to help open an offshore office in Cebu, Philippines! I've been here for about a month, and am remaining here until the end of July.

Some videos and photos from my weekends here...

The jump was 50 feet, and I landed leaning back a bit, so I bruised my tailbone pretty good...

I absolutely love my GoPro. Incredible quality...these were all just screengrabs from the video. Heading to Boracay tomorrow for a couple days, going to get some great snorkeling in I hope.

This looks fucking awesome man, makes me wanna leave the country. You're living kinda an alternative lifestyle, and props to you for taking advantage of your situation. That snorkeling looks awesome, keep updating for sure.
I can try to read such an interesting article https://set-travel.com/en/ And anyway, a great site. I recommend him to become well acquainted with him, in my opinion, you will probably have a lot of useful information. So I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with this option)