A good friend just passed away.

She was my first girlfriend and I've been very close with her family ever since.  The guy driving was drunk. He started to run off the road and over-corrected too hard which flipped the truck and threw my friend (Kara) and his girlfriend out of the truck.

Her parents called and asked that I write something for the funeral; they want me to speak.
What I wrote ended up being put in the local newspaper and I thought I would post it here.

Please don't drive drunk.

Originally, I planned to speak at Kara's wedding. To make sure the guy knew how bad I'd hurt him if he ever did anything to hurt her. Now, here I stand, completely unprepared that I might, one day, be speaking at her funeral. 
    At our age, and for nearly every waking moment, we've become accustomed to taking life by the horns and trying to control everything we do. But in these moments, when we're abruptly shaken of everything we thought we knew, it's us that seems to stand still in time. To watch life pass us by as we so desperately hold on to someone that had a significant impact in our lives. Last time, it was Ryan. This time, it's Kara. We learn here that life is as fragile as we've been told. Remember this moment. Remember this moment for the rest of your lives because one day, 20 years from now, Julie will pick up her phone, Caity will pick up her phone and I'll know I'll pick up my phone to tell Kara something we've heard, something that's happened. In this moment, we'll remember. We'll remember her smile, her way to bring positivity out of any negative situation and her entire, beautiful existence.
    Remember this moment, because you are a brother, a sister. A son or a daughter. Maybe a mother or a father. Each choice that we make in this life impacts more than just ourselves. Each and every one of us have a spider web of hundreds of people that care about us -- and in Kara's case, thousands. One of the saddest and most self-centered things you can see in someone is too much pride. If you're reading this and you have a family member that you haven't spoken with, I don't care if it has only been a week or if it has been years, you go home and you fix it. If you have a mother that you "can't get along with," because your ego won't let you -- go home and you apologize. You look her in the eyes and you tell her how much she means to you. How your world revolves around her. You look your brother in the eyes, your sister, your son or your daughter and you make damn sure that they know you wouldn't know how to live without them. Because that chance isn't guaranteed. What a miserable thought to be at an alter one day speaking about how you never took the chance, rather than speaking about how you chose to be a strong person, took the chance, and repaired those relationships in your life.
    For the people my age, remember this moment the next time you think about driving a car after you've had "only a couple drinks." I know I will see people and I know I will see faces at Kara's funeral, but I'm wondering how many souls with fresh scars I will see. I know there are some of you who have already planned to go party this weekend as if it's some sort of tribute to Kara. You should be disgusted with yourselves. You aren't going to be able to put your seatbelt on before you wreck and that's an incredible metaphor for life. Nothing can prepare you for or protect you from these moments. Walk outside, breathe deeply, feel the air and understand that it is your lungs keeping you alive, not any materialistic thing you've attached yourself to. Remember that your family gave you life and how important each moment is with them. Remember that each person you come in contact with has pain of their own and there's no reason to add to it. Remember that the only way we're going to move forward, is together.
    "And the end comes too soon, like dreaming of angels, and leaving without them." ‪#‎RememberThisMoment‬

People's lives are in danger when you drive recklessly? Imagine that.

know there are some of you who have already planned to go party this weekend as if it's some sort of tribute to Kara. You should be disgusted with yourselves.

Sorry about your lost. Losing someone is, I think one of the worst things anyone can go through. I lost two people in my life very close to me, My Grandpa & Aunt.  I myself would maybe use another word than Disgusted. If you haven't yet to share at funeral.

The only family member I've ever lost was my grandfather, so I understand.

And I thought about using another word, but I wanted it to be received the way I meant it.

I know there are some of you who have already planned to go party this weekend as if it's some sort of tribute to Kara. You should be disgusted with yourselves."

seems kind of inappropriate to include this in a eulogy.
Sorry for your loss. Am I right to infer that they were not wearing seatbelts?

Don't take a funeral as an opportunity to tell people that they should be disgusted with themselves, dude.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't know for sure if they were wearing seatbelts or not, but I'd assume none of them were. The driver was in the backseat.

And the people who planned to party this weekend in "remembrance" of her is disgusting. 

The whole thing is an attention grab at trying to be inspiring. There's nothing even about your "best friend". Just you telling people how to fix their lives as if a funeral is supposed to be some psychotherapy session. You should be disgusted with yourself for writing such a crock of shit and acting as though you would never be the type of person to take a life so recklessly. I wonder how everyone would feel if they knew that just a year ago (or whenever that was), you were bragging about how much over the speed limit you were driving? What's the fucking difference?

Sorry for your loss. I can tell she meant a lot to you. I understand the context but agree that word is kind of harsh.

Regardless of the circumstances, we all grieve in our own way. When my brother in law's father passed away two years ago we all drank in his name, and did so responsibly enough to bring home fond memories of the celebration. I'm sure knowing his personality he would appreciate that we made the best of an opportunity to party for him. It was a sincere gesture for our family and we all look back at that time as really important to helping us all cope. That doesn't have to be the case here, but you being passionate about teaching a lesson here could be a little too critical. I'm sure there are those who might handle themselves irresponsibly but that shouldn't condemn everyone wanting to have a moment to celebrate her life. I know that regardless of how I passed away, I'd want nothing more than for my friends and family to dance and laugh together until the sun came up.

Good luck man. I wish you the best getting through this process.

Thank you.

The reason I wrote it that way is because all of us are 21-22 years old. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and we know that none of the kids will do it responsibly. Their version of "partying" is getting black out drunk, puking and driving home (most of the time.)

I think the most enlightening thing here is how different the views are from where I live and where you guys are from.
I haven't had a single person say a word about it to me.

Damn. I can only imagine. Fortunately in the situation I mentioned very few of us were young like that, and we were amongst plenty of people in their 40's and 50's so we all got fucked up, but everyone made it home safe, no drunk driving or anything. I guess given that perspective I realize you have to practically worry for kids at that age who won't have that kind of restraint. I understand where you're coming from man. Maybe try to elaborate on that point so it doesn't just give them reason to be insulted and ignore the rest of your sentiment. Everyone will be in a sensitive state of mind I'm sure. I think your intentions are in the right place. This kind of thing is a problem for most young people around that age, I expect even worse in a very small community like that. 

Well, here, even the police know everyone. Most of the police grew up with our parents.
People my age have been let go from DUI's (the police would drive them home instead) and more.
I will know all 800+ people at this funeral. They'll know I'm not being insulting, both her parents have read what I wrote and said they love it from the beginning to the end.

Regardless, the funeral isn't about the speech. I never meant for it to get the attention it did, I wrote from my heart, and I meant every word I said.
I still haven't fully accepted it yet. I don't even know how to understand it.

both her parents have read what I wrote and said they love it from the beginning to the end.

Glad you don't need any more validation than that.

This isn't about validation. I've known most of you here for around 8 years. Take that into consideration and I've grown from 14-22 with you guys. I don't see why it's an issue for me to share this.
Ok.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost some close people, too.

But I think it's alright for anyone to throw a party, for whatever reason. Funerals are depressing enough as they are. Maybe party funerals aren't just something we "western civilized" folk do anymore. It's not disrespecting your friend.

Weren't you the dude that took a picture of your speedometer (while driving) when you were going like ~140? And now you're talking about reckless driving? Fucking what?
It's common sense to presume he learned his lesson. 

Weren't you the dude that took a picture of your speedometer (while driving) when you were going like ~140? And now you're talking about reckless driving? Fucking what?

It seems like you're trying to teach people, that don't quite have the perspective on drunk driving that you do, a lesson, which is fine. I find that people are often more receptive to lessons like this if they are suggested something without being made to feel small or insulted in the process. Perhaps putting it in a more positive or encouraging tone instead of a belittling or insulting one will be better received. My 2 cents.

People do live and learn. Seems odd that some would rather hold past behavior over their head when they've now come to a better understanding of the scope and seriousness of that reckless behavior. One less naive shit is something to be thankful for, instead we cry hypocrisy. Because apparently going against past behavior is inherently shitty, even if it is a step in the right direction. GG guys.

I know there are some of you who have already planned to go party this weekend as if it's some sort of tribute to Kara. You should be disgusted with yourselves."

seems kind of inappropriate to include this in a eulogy.

Gotta second this though. Pay respects, find another podium to preach on.

People do live and learn. Seems odd that some would rather hold past behavior over their head when they've now come to a better understanding of the scope and seriousness of that reckless behavior. One less naive shit is something to be thankful for, instead we cry hypocrisy. Because apparently going against past behavior is inherently shitty, even if it is a step in the right direction. GG guys.
The problem is that he's still the same shit head as he was then; and probably too oblivious to see that drunk driving and reckless speeding are equally as dangerous to people's lives. I'd doubt that he ever sat in retrospect about what he did and later bragged about, and I'd doubt even more if he said "shit, my friend died and it could have been me that killed her".

I'm sure you're really helping his mourning process. Did it ever occur to you that you're not a saint? Chill out. Someone close to him isn't here anymore. If he were a piece of shit, he'd probably have already reacted negatively to you trying to prod him. Get over yourself. I think you're delusional for suggesting that thought never occurred to him. You needed to be here to produce more negativity. Just stop.

Handle whatever grudge you have with him elsewhere.

All of a sudden you're some pillar of morality. Have some respect for the gravity of this situation. Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm sure you're really helping his mourning process.

You're forgetting that Gage is a raging narcissist. The fact that he's using this girl's death as an opportunity to show off how deep he is should've tipped you off. Notice how this tragedy due to reckless driving doesn't seem to have prompted any reflection on Gage's part about his own reckless driving, or at least none that he wanted to share with us. He had more important things to share, like:

Her parents called and asked that I write something for the funeral; they want me to speak.

What I wrote ended up being put in the local newspaper and I thought I would post it here.

He's not grieving, he's bragging. I wonder if her parents would've asked him to speak at the funeral if they'd read all of the awful stuff he posted in his thread bragging about getting busted for going 70mph over the speed limit.

Regardless of the shit, sorry for your loss. Too young. :(
as much shit as you give me for no apparent reason, this saddens me deeply. I hate drunk driving, and I hate hearing how good innocent people get their lives taken hourly because someone decided to make a bad decision. I am sorry for your loss gage. kind of hard for me to relate because I haven't dealt with anything like this but I do offer my condolences. keep your head up brother

Thank you, MstK and Titanium.

I will touch on my speeding. I am well aware that speeding was wrong. I'm well aware that whether there were people on the road or not, anything could have happened -- an animal could have jumped out in front of me and either killed my friend, me, or both. I have never said what I did was right.

In regards to Colo, you're absolutely right that I was not going to touch on my driving in this post. You and Dawnie remind me how out of touch with reality some people can be. My driving is so irrelevant in this moment. You're out of your mind if you truly, in your heart, think I'm bragging. And her parents do both know about me going to jail for speeding. They've known about it since the day after it happened -- her parents are close to mine. Speeding wasn't the issue here. Driving drunk was.

I, too, must be out of touch with reality and out of my mind.

That's fine.

When you post here about a family member or friend dying, I'll still mourn for your loss. 
Don't expect me to jump in criticizing your post. 

I never took you to be so noble, so kind, so fair, so

I know there are some of you who have already planned to go party this weekend as if it's some sort of tribute to Kara. You should be disgusted with yourselves.

I hope you'll at least find the time to prescribe acceptable ways of mourning.

Sorry for your loss, Gage. I can't imagine losing my best friend
There's the Colo I've grown to luv. I'm out of touch with reality, you write a Eulogy telling people to be disgusted with themselves and to fix their family issues. Sounds about right.

The problem is that he's still the same shit head as he was then; and probably too oblivious to see that drunk driving and reckless speeding are equally as dangerous to people's lives. I'd doubt that he ever sat in retrospect about what he did and later bragged about, and I'd doubt even more if he said "shit, my friend died and it could have been me that killed her".

Didn't you just have a kid and now you're online being a cunt? Jesus Christ let the guy get some thoughts off his chest seeing as a childhood friend of his just died. People change over time. Drunk Driving is by far worse than Reckless Driving but both are bad in their own merit.

You guys are fucking annoying. Yes, its an inappropriate time to tell people they should be disgusted with themselves. I'd say it's also an inappropriate time to call the kid a raging narcissist and jump all over him for his past when the kid is obviously grieving. 

sorry for your loss, it's never an easy process. This will help you learn s lot about yourself.