Workout/Bodybuilding III: Revengeance: Part Deux

what do you guys do to deal with torn calluses? I ripped two on the middle part of my middle and pinky finger. Deficit Deadlifted 225,275,315,365,315x3  and tore it on rep two of the second set of 315. I have a golf and tennis tournament this weekend plus lifting. I tore them during the strength part of my crossfit work out and just bandaid + athletic taped them to finish the workout. 

If you're talking about on the actual finger, I usually just tear athletic tape in half and loosely tape the callus. If it's on the hand, go on youtube and search for Shankle's hand care video and he'll show you how to tape a callus at the base of the finger on the palm.

To minimize tears, wash the chalk off immediately after lifting, and use some wax or moisturizer before bed on your hands (think vaseline like stuff). Also, when you want them to heal quicker, get a bowl of hot water and put a teabag or two in it (I use cheapo black tea), and soak your hands in the water when it's cooled a bit. The tatanic (I think that's it) acid repairs your skin wayyy quicker. It'll look darker in the areas it was torn, but holy fuck does it heal the skin faster than normal.

If you need to keep lifting on them and let them heal though, use straps until they're healed enough, or adjust your grip so that the bar sits on other areas of your hand. I never really got calluses from deadlifting, and only started tearing my hands once I switched to hook due to gripping the bar differently. So I'm not sure exactly where you're tearing since I haven' t done that before from any non-hook pulls.

spoiler: it's my hand. 

i I have some good burts bees wax and I wash my hands well daily and use hand cream. 

trying the tea soak now. 

So I want to get into a 3 day a week squat/bench/deadlift once a week program. My squats for the oast 3 weeks have been 3 doubles then adding 5lbs to both front and back squat. I probably need more volume in that. Bench I pretty much do the same thing. Deadlift I have no idea what I'm going to do. Someone spoon feed me.

Bill Starr's 5x5 is amazing: http://stronglifts.com/madcow/5x5_Program/5x5_intermediate_v0.3.zip

Squats 3x a week btw

^^been using that, it's pretty good. fridays are a killer

Fuck this post just reminded me of Madcow lol. Thank you. I'm just going to do Madcow for hella long.

i I have some good burts bees wax and I wash my hands well daily and use hand cream. 

trying the tea soak now. 

The Burts Bees wax stuff worked wonders for my hands when I climbed a lot. Also tea tree oil.

@spanker: I feel like at this point you're just psyching yourself out. Remember when you first started posting in these threads and were scared shitless of breaking your back deadlifting like 95lbs? I feel like you're acting like that again, and it's all in your head scaring yourself.

trying the tea soak now. 

Damn, I've never had a tear that high. I always get a thick ridge right below the first crease on my fingers, but above that the bar is barely in any contact. I suppose that's the difference in what holds the bar between hook and conventional. Less fingertips in hook, more palm and finger base. Yea try the tea thing and see how that works. If you do it before bed try to use decaf. I'm pretty sure soaking in tea soaks in caffeine because I've had a couple sleepless nights accidentally doing it before bed.

I feel like that too. When I was squatting 280 I was thinking to myself you've done more than this without a belt for more repts than 2 and the weight just shot up after that.
Hit 435 on deadlift yesterday without a belt. Super happy about it. 

planned on 230x3, 240x2x2, 250x3x1 paused bench today. 

Asked my gym owner for a lift off for my first set of 250, hit 250x1 he immediately said do it again and gave me a few cues, hit it again. 

then  I wanted to do one more rep with 250 so I asked for another hand off. Owner pushed my shoulders down farther than I had (realized how to increase my arch) pointed out my wrists weren't straight and had my keep my feet parallel with the bench and shove my heels out. hit 250x4 paused. 

gym owner knows what the fuck is up. then he goes back to coaching some guys deadlifting and hits a cold belt less 455+ hella chains paused deadlift. savage

First day back on a structured program in months. I put all my numbers really low just to get back in the swing of things. Squatted 225 for 5, benched 160 for 5, and deadlifted 275 for 5. Everything felt really good. Hit a paused 195 bench pretty easily, a PR I guess because I weigh so little.

what do you guys eat on a typical day? I tracked my macros with MFP for a while but that got annoying, I am not gaining any weight ( goal) and have been eating pretty healthy but aside from what I am currently eating I can't think of what else I could eat. 

Basically I eat oatmeal and some meat on mornings I lift, 4 eggs and meat on mornings I don't, two eggo waffles for carbs before I lift. I eat half pound of meat plus rice after I lift, on days off I eat slightly less meat and veggies and then a normal dinner of what ever my mom wants me to cook for dinner, which is typically lower carbs. (I cook for my family atm). 

what at else would be good for preworkout snack breakfast or lunch? 

Id recommend going back to using MFP and tracking your calories and macros. If your goal is to gain weight you need to be in a caloric surplus of ~500 calories. Tracking will be beneficial to being able to know if you should increase the amount of food you should  eat. If youre not gaining 1lb a week in a 500 calorie surplus than continue to up it slowly until you see your weight go up. 

Also I usually workout fasted just a personal preference. 

MFP is tedious as fuck to use. 

dinners are hard to track in my case. 

also working out fasted is not my jam. 

for the most part I don't care Bout my macros enough to track them. I am leaning out, maintaining weight and getting stronger all while eating smart

PR'd deadlift last week. 455 at 169lbs bw.

aren't you ~6' ??? 

how ow do you weigh 169lbs

MFP is tedious as fuck to use. 

dinners are hard to track in my case. 

also working out fasted is not my jam. 

for the most part I don't care Bout my macros enough to track them. I am leaning out, maintaining weight and getting stronger all while eating smart

As cliche as it is, if you're not gaining weight just add in some milk at meals. A couple glasses will add quite a bit to your calories without going overboard.

aren't you ~6' ??? 

how ow do you weigh 169lbs

Yeah pretty much (5' 11"). Idk I just don't eat much, and my eating schedule is poor for getting in all the calories I would need to gain. The best way to describe it is I unintentionally intermittent fast. Almost all my calories come in the evening.

The one sort of nice thing is I stay lean all the time, but I'd rather have the size. I'll get my act together eventually.

Current numbers are 290 bench press, 345 squat, 455 deadlift.

Here's my latest picture from in the gym:

This guy. 
11 hour work days, commuting, and working out is soul crushing but like in a good way. 

My coach decided to torture me today, and had me finish my session with 4 sets of 1 CJ + 4 behind the neck presses while still in the split position....had me go straight to a plate, no warmup sets despite never doing this movement. Shoulders are on fire.

Also had a few stupid realizations on my technique the last couple days that have made my lifts 100x smoother. My meet is a week from saturday, and I'm planning on opening with 96-100 on snatch (210-220 range. I opened 96 last meet), and 125 (275) on CJ (120 last meet). I pretty much just need 1 lift from each and I'm qualified for University nationals, so I'm going a bit safer on snatch just so that I don't get ballsy and fuck up, even though I know I can hit higher. I'd like to end with 105/135/240 for the meet, which would leave me in a good position to qualify for the American Open in December (250 total to qualify). 

My gym is 24 miles from my house, but today it took 90 minutes to get there due to traffic. Gym and house are on opposite sides of Seattle, which is an absolute shitstorm to get through at any time of day besides 12-1pm.

11 hour work days, commuting, and working out is soul crushing but like in a good way. 

I know that feel. I was commuting about an hour to work last summer, waking up at 5:30, getting off at 4-6pm, driving home, and then turning around and going straight to lift after. Shit gets draining. Luckily I enjoy lifting so it got me excited by the time I was driving home from work, but it still saps you physically.

Wake up at 6, eat shower, drive 30 minutes, get to work at 7. study till 8. work till 5, study till 6, drive 45 min to gym and home around 8. bed by 9:30. sure beats having too much downtime.

Trying to eat less during the day to not get sleepy. So I rely heavily on pop tarts waffles and too much caffeine to get through the work outs. 

also desk job doesn't agree with squats. Form feels like shit. can't gauge depth, shitty etc. 

also havent vent qualify totals skyrocket since crossfire popularized weightlifting / whatever in the past couple of years. I remember there being like too many lifters cause the qualifying totals weren't keeping up popularity. 

Wake up at 6, eat shower, drive 30 minutes, get to work at 7. study till 8. work till 5, study till 6, drive 45 min to gym and home around 8. bed by 9:30. sure beats having too much downtime.

Trying to eat less during the day to not get sleepy. So I rely heavily on pop tarts waffles and too much caffeine to get through the work outs. 

also desk job doesn't agree with squats. Form feels like shit. can't gauge depth, shitty etc. 

also havent vent qualify totals skyrocket since crossfire popularized weightlifting / whatever in the past couple of years. I remember there being like too many lifters cause the qualifying totals weren't keeping up popularity. 

Depends on the weight class. Some went up, others went down. I think 85 and above all went down, while 69 and 77 went up. 56/62 went up a LOT to the point that only like 4 people in each class could qualify, so not sure how they're gonna deal with that. But as of last year nationals for 77 was 260, and this year 85 is like 250 for AO I think. A lot of them went down for some reason and I'm not sure why. University went up like...9kg. But I should total far above that for my meet, assuming I just make one snatch and one CJ.

Also. When I had that similar schedule last year I just fasted until lunch since dinner was going to be so late anyway. I drank tea and water in the morning when I got to work and that curbed hunger pretty well. I ate lunch around 11-12 on average, and then would have a scoop of protein on my way to the gym which started at 5, and then dinner when I got home around 8-9.

One of those "why even try days"

I'm with you guys on the shitty schedule.. I go to work at 8-9 am and get off at 6-7 pm. Then I go straight to the gym. Since I'm on texas method, my sessions take about 2-2.5 hours. So I gotta go to sleep pretty much right when I get home.

I enjoy lifting a ton, don't get me wrong, but that shit gets mentally taxing. And it sucks because I don't have any free time to do anything else. I'm gonna switch to a 4 day week version of TM soon for this very reason.

Recent PR's,  body weight of 190

Squat 415x1

Bench 265x1 this went up super quick, I feel like I could get 275 easily

DL 415x1 weak as fuck, but it's going up

going to start with a dietmar wolf program I found on the Internet. Excited to try something more powerlifting oriented and high frequency cause I need to switch things up. I'm getting to bodybuilding oriented and form is suffering and it's hard to do while working this much. Hopefully once I get adjusted to the frequency / volume I'll be able to run this pretty smoothly. I find in currently pushing myself too hard and my less than optimal stress and sleep is catching up. 
My meet is on saturday. Coach is having my openers even lighter just to make qualifying for Uni Nationals easier, so I'm opening at around 92-95 snatch and 115-118CJ (whatever adds up to 209), and then assuming I make openers I'll jump much higher. Ideally I'd like to end with a snatch over 100 and a CJ in the 125-130 range, but we'll see. I went in and lifted my openers on Sunday to see where I was at, and snatch was giving me issues, but the 115 CJ was a fucking joke. I've been getting more sore and beat up from my lighter, low volume weeks than the high intensity weeks, and for some reason my abs and back were sore as fuck on Sunday. I think I'll be alright on Sat though, I feel pretty good today and have all of tomorrow to rest as well. Hopefully the girl I've been training doesn't have an anxiety attack from nervousness, because she should easily qualify as well if she stays calm.
Good luck homeboy kill it

pause high bar squats with 145x7, 165x6, 175x5x5 @50% that's easy. 

I forgot what quads are

The girl went 3/6, which I'm more than happy about (although she's disappointed in herself, as girls do). She went 55x/55/60x and 65x/65/70 (all in kilos). She needed 60/74 to qualify for University Nationals, so she wasn't far off, and has another meet in 3 weeks that she can make them at. She's only attempted 60 once or twice on snatch and 70 the same, so I'm happy with how she did. Nervous and anxiousness got into her head more than anything, as all her misses were very close, so I'm confident she'll get the total she needs at the next meet.

I went 4/6, which is the most attempts I've hit at a meet before. I went a lot lower on openers since the qualifying total for University wasn't that high compared to what I can hit, so I wanted to make sure I qualified with openers before going for heavier weights. I did 93/97/100x and 116/122/126x. I've hit 102/130 in training, and previous meet PRs are 96/112 so It's definitely a big jump from the last meet, but not necessarily my true maxes (although I cleaned 125 last meet but missed the jerk).  I decided to take my water cut seriously in terms of water loading/losing the week of the meet, cutting sodium correctly, and also doing sauna/jacuzzi the couple days before I ended up losing about 4.5-5kg over the course of 2 days (nearly 10lbs) just of water, and am already back to my full weight, so I think I did that pretty well. Gonna try to bulk to 4kg over my weight class for the next meet so that I can actually still weigh in close to my limit at the meet, since I came in 3kg under this time. 

I'll compile all my lifts together and post them when I get around to it.

pause high bar squats with 145x7, 165x6, 175x5x5 @50% that's easy. 

I forgot what quads are

Didn't see the 50% part at first and thought you were writing those in kilos and was wondering how the fuck those were easy for you.

congrats on uni nationals. That's awesome progress. Where is uni nationals? 

also lol nawww, lbs peasantry. I mean my gym does have calibrated kilo plates but the 25kgs are heavy.

also with this program I have a feeling the squat and deadlift volume / intensity is on point but the bench is too low. Will have to see in the coming weeks. 

congrats on uni nationals. That's awesome progress. Where is uni nationals? 

also lol nawww, lbs peasantry. I mean my gym does have calibrated kilo plates but the 25kgs are heavy.

also with this program I have a feeling the squat and deadlift volume / intensity is on point but the bench is too low. Will have to see in the coming weeks. 

You know how the russians got stronger? moar reds. use the 25 plates.

The meet is in Ogden, Utah, which is where they had Sr. Nationals last year, so it should be a good venue. I believe its right by Salt Lake City.

It seems ew a I can only loose weight or get fat. Not too upset. 

Inb4 tracking macros

Waiting for that video so I can jack off to it.

Converting to sumo for real this time. Did 290 for 5 yesterday super easy and with great form. Adding 10lbs a week to deadlift, 5 to squat, and 2.5 to bench and OHP and that's about all I've been doing. Clawing my way back to where I once was.

Waiting for that video so I can jack off to it.

Sorry about shitty quality. Transferring from phone to computer killed it.