Mixed Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Your place to discuss anything within the world of professional mixed martial arts:

Anybody catch UFC 183 yesterday?

Derek Brunson had a brilliant KO of a crafty veteran in Ed Herman. Gotta keep an eye on him. First fighter in a while to have a KO + SUB within the first minute of a UFC fight. Didn't expect Miesha Tate to be out grapple Sara McMann considering her olympic wrestling pedigree. Al Iaquinta is looking scary nowadays. Takes a real savage to put Joe Lauzon down like that. I was also a fan of how Tyron Woodley was graceful in victory and refused to take 30% of Kelvin Gastelum's purse for missing weight.

As for the main event: something I've anticipated forever being a Nick Diaz fan. Upset that he didn't get his hands off and score more often. I think he realized Anderson Silva is a counter striker and was doing his best to bait him in. Some of the trollish antics he pulled in the first round had me and my friends crying from laughter. The guy literally laid down and took a nap in the cage. Not to mention when he picked his wedgie. Didn't see many significant strikes from either fighter. They're both fan favorites so it was satisfying to see them in the octagon together but I expected more action. Either way, it seemed like something that warrants a rematch but Anderson's only getting older while Nick seems to be losing interest in the sport as a whole.

Some quick GIF's of the main event:

Dude I was so nervous for the main event, not even funny. Still enjoyed it a lot, just kick ass that Nick did better than light heavies, even if Silva is older and all that.

Good fucking card tho, lot of good hard fights.

Glory 19 coming up too on feb 6th.

Too bad about Weedmawn having to get out of Vitor fight, was looking forward to that a lot

Weidman being injured was a fucking letdown. Vitor winning that belt would be such a guilty pleasure. I'm almost always rooting for old school cats still in the game.

I read an article today saying that Vitor was actually offered a fight with Lyoto Machida but he declined it. Bummer. I'd like to see him stay active. Not sure if him and Lyoto have a pre-existing friendship, because I don't imagine he's scared of Machida by any means. 

Weidman being injured was a fucking letdown. Vitor winning that belt would be such a guilty pleasure. I'm almost always rooting for old school cats still in the game.

I read an article today saying that Vitor was actually offered a fight with Lyoto Machida but he declined it. Bummer. I'd like to see him stay active. Not sure if him and Lyoto have a pre-existing friendship, because I don't imagine he's scared of Machida by any means. 

Nah, i saw some tape on vitors camp and eventho hes smaller he still looks trt vitor scary
I never doubt his fitness or conditioning. That TRT shit was just the icing on the cake. I've always seen him as the most lethal middleweight. Nobody's got speed, power, and experience in abundance like that.

Honestly I always thought Silva vs Diaz was a dumb fight because Anderson has fought at 205 before and Nick is a welterweight. Plus, the way Nick finishes people is by accumulation to get him the TKO. It's literally impossible to land enough shots on Spider to do that. You have to catch him with a powerful shot, which isn't really Nick's thing. However, when Nick came out with those antics out of nowhere in round 1, my heart started racing and I was into it like fuck.

I also heard before the fight Anderson was gonna get a title shot if he won, which annoyed me because of Jacare vs Romero and Machida vs Rockhold, both insane fights.  Glad it doesn't look like he's getting it now though, cos we're spoilt for choice with 185 contenders. Now that Weidman's injured though, I don't know what they're gonna do with everyone. Don't understand why they were gonna pull Machida from his fight with Rockhold though (who I think would be more suitable for an interim fight)

You bring up a really valid point about Nick's finishing style. Which is why I saw his only path to victory being a submission. Aside from that his only chance would probably be a flurry leading to a huge overhand like when he crucified Paul Daley back in the day. I had the same exact feeling when he started goofing off in round 1. Pure entertainment man. I was loving it.

P.S. - Anderson is amazing, but he doesn't deserve an immediate title shot. At least in my mind.

I've always held the unpopular opinion that Weidman can and will beat him a third time.

Yeh Nick has sick Jits but it's gonna take a bigass Weidman/Romero to get Anderson down. And yeh maybe Weidman would beat him again, but I think Silva had him in that first fight (Chris was slowing down), but he took his showboating too far and it's the biggest 'what if' in MMA history.  Then he got rocked in the rematch before the accident so I don't know how that would've panned out. Plus what the F are they gonna do with Edgar in the meantime?

Considering the first post in this thread, this is so friggin' relevant. Jesus Christ. Nick Diaz is the man. You have to see this slater.

I don't even curr. Shame on Silva. Cheating is cheating.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-Anderson-Silva<br><p>

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/4/7975801/coach-nick-diaz-wasnt-licens...

If you're smoking bud before a pro MMA fight, you're only harming your reputation in the eyes of an athletic commission and not affecting your performance. If you're popping performance enhancing drugs before a pro MMA fight, you're a coward, a cheat and definitely not the greatest of all time. Such a fucking shame. I guess we just proved that Fedor Emelianenko was actually the GOAT.

-_________- 

Who's excited for Rousey vs Zingano? Ronda thinks this is the only person who really stands a chance against her. Should be fireworks. I'm still predicting Rousey as the winner, but by straight up KO this time. They're gonna be throwin' bows.

In much more interesting news....they've got a match set up for Bellator soon that is some freakshow shit.

Ken Shamrock (52 years old) vs Kimbo Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIiYfowL4b0

Something tells me Ken is going night night.

heh yeah I saw that shit, its hilarious. I just see Tito laughing and Ken kicking up chairs in my head when I think about it.

as for Silva PEDs, wtf. Nick Diaz GOAT ;)

those "Welterwieght Diaz hung with a juiced up Light heavyweight Silva with a titanium rod while being stoned and with an injured elbow. DIAZ GOAT" comments make me laugh every time.

Did you catch Glory 19? that shit was dope as fuck, loved the card. Main event was sad times tho.

Cro cop vs Gonzaga makes me smile too, not as weird as Ken vs Kimbo but still kinda comical, kinda great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZIQEiUQ8gQ

​Will cro cop cro cop the man who cro copped cro cop? 

Cro copception

as for Ronda v Cat, how can you go against Ronda objectively but my heart is with Cat for sure. Been cheering for her for a few years now, beast level drive.

I think CroCop has this one. I'll always be his fan because I am a huge PRIDE nerd. Would be dope to see him win this CroCopceptions bout lmao. Got a lot of respect for Cat continue her winning streak after her husband passed away. That's some deep shit. As for Silva, I don't believe that him popping for PED's twice is a fluke. I think he was just nervous about his return and the prospect of Nick beating him. You know me man, I find all that DIAZ GOAT talk to be glorious. That's my guy. Especially knowing he's a stoner, it's so awesome for people to see that he was always world class and able to hang with anyone on the planet. Great turn for his story arch. He took no damage in that fight. Unfortunately I haven't seen a Glory event in a while. I should be keeping up.

Glory 19 was nice except for the Heavyweight fights. Letdown. Nieky Holzken was pure G all night though. Easily one of my favorite kickboxers of all time. The combinations he throws are always fucking crisp and beautiful. Schilling beasted once again. Was nice to see.

Anybody catch Invicta yesterday? Cyborg fucking DESTROYED. I dont care how much hype is on tonights fight, ive been saying for a long time the only two fights im interested in and the two fighters i think might have a chance against Ronda is Cyborg or Holly Holm. Make dat shit happen already.

heh, yeah Im a Diaz boy as well.

Glory 19 is def one to check out, they've been iffy for a bit with events falling through but since the big tourney with 17 I think this was back on that level of quality fights so Im hoping for more big things soon. If Spong comes back from that injury my body is so ready, one of my fav fighters.  As for Glory 19, Holzken, Daniels and Schilling is just awesome action. Holzken is my shit, so technical + Dutch.

Also Rogan had JWP on the podcast and from there I gathered hed put his docu online for free so check that out. Thai fighting is something I never fully got into besides a few people like Dekkers and Buakaw but whenever I see it I know Im missing out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMij3Gx4nU

also for the Aldo Cracker hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYTAuwjBLBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVasbwr2GU4

Nice! yeah the heavyweights was sadness but thats outside of anyones control really, they went at it for the time it took.

Didnt see cyborg yet, did see the prelims to that invicta card, had some nice fights. I have a hard time watching cyborg fights as Im a big Marloes Coenen fan lol

what are you guys's thoughts on Overeem vs Big Country Nelson?

Listened to that podcast recently. Was nice. Was planning on checking out the documentary either today or tommorow.  Same as you never followed thai too much aside from Dekkers who ive been a fan off ever since i first watched one of his fights online years ago. Dude had a pretty gnarly fighting career. Shame he passed.

Parr was also on the Fight Companion podcast last weekend and did some sparring with rogan around that time. Here's a vid for anyone who wants to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuKSoSA0HJE

Spong has been my favorite new kick boxer for a while. I knew about JWP from Joe Rogan interestingly enough, so I'll check that out. Dekkers was a savage. Gotta go and watch some of his highlights again. I'm also a fan of Marloes, and think Cyborg is a massive cheater, although it's still entertaining to see her tear people apart. As for Ubereem vs Big Country? I traditionally root against Overeem unless he's fighting some major tool. I always thought he was juicing until the testing got more stringent. Big Country has always been my guy, so I gotta pick him. Either way, it's gonna be a great fight, I'm sure of it. I'd say Alistair is the safe pick in this one.

Max: I don't know the guy you're referencing for his crispness, but I'll check him out. When I come back to NY in a few weeks let's plan it around a good UFC night. I miss when we'd get pissy drunk waiting for main events.

Lets make it happen. Visiting for a bit or what? Defrosting your  cold withered bones? 

P.S. Obligatory bad muthafucka pic.

yeah I can vouch for holzken, dude has pretty much been the best in the world in his weightclass since 2010/11. insane how he touches people up light then rips, then touches then rips, low high mid variety is incredible.

Im an overeem guy, I know its iffy on the PEDs but Ive just liked him since Pride cuz I rooted for the dutch guys and then he went into K1 and messed dudes up against all expectations / kickboxing world went mad. Also those REEM documentary episodes get me every time. this is prob my fave ep, with Mike from Mike's gym (guy who trains monsters like Badr Hari, Saki, Manhoef etc.), dutch people in US centred media type stuff crack me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNNXjKbnkQ

^^ lmao, dat cowboy. twitter blew up so hard when he signed to fight benson in like 15 days

also smutt Im pretty sure weve discussed me injuries before, its looking so much better now. Im dreaming of getting back to training at the end of the year, might be too hopeful but there's a legit possibility Ill get a chance to go again

Yeah man, I gotta defrost these withered bones. lul. That Cowboy pic is hilarious, but he's never beating my boy Anthony. ;D

Slater: I actually love those Reem videos. I guess I don't have much of a problem with him once he percievably got clean. Those mini docs are so well made and the music is on point. I know Spong is in a couple of them. I'm glad you're feeling better and see that on the horizon. Best of luck man. I just got back into the flow of training and it feels so good to be in the fight rhythm. Trust me, I know the feeling. Tore my lateral meniscus and couldn't risk rolling for a while.

Oh man. Dana's face was priceless. He did not want to deal with that kind of shit anymore. lmfao.
oh shit thats good lmao

That was easily the most impressive finish in a championship fight I have ever seen. My girlfriend just said "how sad would it be if this was over in 10 seconds". It took 14.

Holy fucking shit. Ronda Rouse is a demon.

Well shit. Im actually kinda bummed just cause they ended up in that weird wonky position just cause of that initial flip that happened from them charging at each other. Aside from the obvious skill and quick thinking that it took to pull off that submission, it just felt like more like a simple one moment mistake caused the outcome instead of pure domination. I wanted to see them standing a bit and make it exciting since thats where Zingano has the edge.

Well shit. Im actually kinda bummed just cause they ended up in that weird wonky position just cause of that initial flip that happened from them charging at each other. Aside from the obvious skill and quick thinking that it took to pull off that submission, it just felt like more like a simple one moment mistake caused the outcome instead of pure domination. I wanted to see them standing a bit and make it exciting since thats where Zingano has the edge.

It definitely would have went differently if not for Zingano's mad rush, but you fuck with the bull and get the horns sometimes man. Ronda finished Alexis Davis in 16 seconds, so we all knew it could have happened. I loved that shit. Couldn't be bummed out when I'm that impressed.

the way of the intercepting fist.

fucking what, lmao @ admund saying he wanted a faster finish than 16 seconds in the Embedded vid, I dont even
I thought Holly Holm would do more damage. Her technique and footwork are great, but I was hoping she'd load up more and try to punish Pennington. Looking forward to her progression, though. She'll be a good matchup for Zingano in time, and if she passes that test or Meisha, I think Rousey will be on the horizon for her.

Im a Rousey fan but i just wanna add that the only reason she's THAT dominant is because its the women's  division. They have no knockout power so she can afford to go straight at someone and clinch up and risk taking a few punches without worrying about being KOed. If you had a male equivalent to her and he tried to do what she does, he would have gotten knocked the fuck out long ago trying to clinch up and do those fucking throws. She happens to be in a division where the only real threat of getting finished is submissions(aside from bullshit tko's that only result when one person is stuck in a position where they are taking too many shots which are not doing any real damage and the referee jumps in).  Also because women's striking technique is fucking light years behind the men's. Watch enough fights and you will see repititive sloppy technique with many punches not hitting shit. Shes really good, i am not denying that, but the real reason she is as successful as she is, is because its the womens division and the opposition really fucking sucks.

Case in point: Watch as Zingano comes at her, throws the most half assed knee all the while her arms are completely at her sides. No throwing a punch, no grabbing on to Ronda in the process to pull her into the knee, not even holding her hands up to her face to protect it while she is throwing that knee. Just completely down at her sides. I thought these people are supposed to be pros.        https://streamable.com/8lj3

This is what we do and why we do it, we rollin, nobody does this better than we do baby
Saddest face. :<